Electrical question about 120v Green wire and panel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Electrical question about 120v Green wire and panel

Post by scenarioL113 »

Regarding the Green (ground) wire that comes from the shore power. Yes my shore power is 30amp and wired Black (hot), White Neutral, and Green (ground).

I am wondering if this green wire needs to be connected to my engine block. This wire obviously comes from the shore line dock 30a connector then proceeds to my on board AC 120v Breaker Panels green labeled bus bar. I noticed that there is no additional wire going from this bus bar to a ground on the boat. A little reading online and it seem that it may need to be grounded somewhere on the boat and one place was referred to as the engine grounding bus.

I was thinking of just going right to the engine bellhousing?

If anyone could give some input it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Frank
back from being off the grid and in drydock for five yrs. good to be wet again.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Navatech

Re: Electrical question about 120v Green wire and panel

Post by Navatech »

All the grounds (12 volt and 120 volt) need to be grounded together... On my boat they're all connected to my main zinc place on my transom... My engines and all my bonding wires are also connected to this plate...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.marinco.com/en/4531001

To be safe you should have an isolator similar to what is above. Green wire goes into the isolator then to the AC panel then from the Panel to the block or a common ground.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:To be safe you should have an isolator similar to what is above. Green wire goes into the isolator then to the AC panel then from the Panel to the block or a common ground.
Frank, what Tony says about the "Galvanic Isolator" is true... It's an "optional" item but as it's a relatively simple and cheap item and it WILL save you money down the road it's a no brainer... And, if you're considering a "Galvanic Isolator" you should also consider a capacitor...

http://www.yandina.com (no connection, just a satisfied customer) has some of the best prices I know of...