Engine access

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Engine access

Post by moguls2go »

I had to replace a broken belt last weekend and imagined how much easier it would be if there were a hatch in the bulkhead separating the engine compartments from the cabin so that I could get to the front of the motor. Has anyone ever done this?
Max
Navatech

Re: Engine access

Post by Navatech »

moguls2go wrote:I had to replace a broken belt last weekend and imagined how much easier it would be if there were a hatch in the bulkhead separating the engine compartments from the cabin so that I could get to the front of the motor. Has anyone ever done this?
I've seen it done on other boats...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Moguls2go,
I have drilled holes in the bulkheads in front of each engine for access to the front of the motors. make sure that they are at least 6" to 8" around to allow your hands and tools enough room to work. I used large white Pie Hi screw in fittings to close off the holes so that noise, heat, fumes or God forbid fire don't enter the cabin or head spaces. I found that the holes should line up with the center of the crank shaft for the best access to the pulleys. The holes should be below the dinette seat bottoms and in my case behind the removable FRP panel behind the enclosed starboard toilet area. You could also use the smallest folding style hatches but most times you don't have enough space for the opening part to swing open. Watch out drilling large holes with a big hole saw, it could break or sprain your wrist if it catches or binds up, I know from experience.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hole saw, jig saw...couple close holes around perimeter you wish to open then give a whack with heavy solid object, hammer works well, cut out area you need access. Then a thin piece of material to cover...Alum sheet, Luan, fiberglass, screw in place...Walla!! you now have access panel.

Yes, I have done before.
I cut my first hole when I needed to replace circulating pump. Managed to unscrew the bolts holding the front pulley...then tried to finagle them out. No way, no how so single strategic hole to let bolts pass thru...then it got opened again as I could not get pulley in over new pump.