Family Fishing vacation ideas?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Family Fishing vacation ideas?

Post by John F. »

Wife is looking for summer vacation ideas--everything from a cruise to going out west to getting a condo at the ocean for a week is being discussed. I have a 13 daughter and 15 year old son. Daughter is like wife, content to relax on a beach all day, or relax all day somewhere. Son is like me--relaxes well for 4-5 minutes, and then needs to do something.

Wife suggested this am that we look into going somewhere where she and daughter can relax and son and I can fish--

Anybody got any ideas? We could just go to OC and bring the boat, but we'd like to something a little different. Anywhere in FL, Costa Rica come to mind? I know what's around teh mid-Atlantic in August, but don't know anywhere else. Thought I'd turn to the experts.

Thanks-

John F.

Finishing up the winter projects today, taking the cover off the boat, bottom paint tomorrow, splash next weekend. Yeah!!!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Key West. They can go shopping or sit out. Lots of good places to eat and the fishing that time of year is great inshore or off.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

We rented a house from a realty company two different times in the keys where we could dock the boats we pulled down in back of the house. Marathon and then Key Largo for around $800 a week years back.
However, the West is a must see, I say a must see. We did drive to Yellowstone and it was certainly a great trip, the Grand Canyon is also a MUST.
Better hurry,tho, kids won't want to go w/you shortly!
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

I would obviously recommend Golfito, Costa Rica because I have a charter boat there. But, other really nice places are Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas; Mayaquez, Puerto Rico; Cabo San Lucas, Mex. and St. Johns, USVI. All these places have in common that the fishing is great all year long, there are ways to get there cheap despite what people think and they have things for your family to do and fishing isn't that over priced! In you wnat more details drop me a line at www.thums76@hotmail.com
RussP

Post by RussP »

Cabo!!!!!
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

We like Key West a lot for many reasons. We usually stay in Cudjoe Key which is a short drive to Key West 18 miles. We have also stayed in downtown Key West but parking is a problem if you want your car right at your place. We lucked out last time and parked in front of the hotel .It is a lot more expensive to stay in Key West proper so hold onto your wallet.
If you want more information email me and I can go into greater detail.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Going to Cabo San Lucus this year for our aniversary.

Wife can shop, lay on the beach or by the pool.

Me I'm going fishing!
Jim
1975 28 FBC
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I think Tropic Star has a kid's special during that time, it would be the trip of a lifetime.

Could go to Cape May and stay at the canyon club fish a little and sight-see a little. Do it in July and then trek on up to Atlantic City for the Rendezvous.

br,
John
Dug

Post by Dug »

Anguilla.

Stay at the Cuisinart.

Fish with the Carty family. On thier B31. $600 a day, and I mean a full day.

Priceless, and awesome vacation.

Top notch.

Dug
Bill Cuthbertson

Post by Bill Cuthbertson »

Anguilla is good, we stayed a Cap Juluca, have heard great things about Cusinart. I also fished with the Carty's on their B-31, ggod trip wahoo and dolphin. Great place for the ladies regarding the beaches. Fishing is good, more focused on meat becuase the sell what they catch. Great all around vacation spot, no complaints.

We just got back from Los Suenos in Cost Rica. From a fishing perspctive it's the best I have ever been to (haven't been to Tropic Star but it's on the list). Direct flight for me from Charlotte, NC, two hour drive to the resort. Not a great beach but the resort and pools are top notch. Crew worked harder than any I have seen, constantly rigging baits. Three couples went, girls fished one day and the guys fished two. Girls all caught 90lb + sailfish and the guys all caught sails and one blue marlin each plus some dolphin and wahoo.

Had a buddy that fished Golfita in Costa Rica a few years ago and managed 20 + sails on the fly over several days fishing. Don't know any thing about beaches or accomadations.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the ideas. They're all great, and after all that, we've decided to go to Utah and see the canyons, do some rafting, etc. Andre's right, its a must see, and the family vacations will probably be coming to an end soon. And I'll always be able to get my son to go fish and my daughter to relax on a beach.

Got the bottom paint done yesterday--hate that job. She'll splash in a few days.

Thanks again.

John F.
RussP

Post by RussP »

John, when in Utah try to check out Goblin Valley. It's not far from Moab and well worth the trip. Linda & I spent a fair amount of time in the 4 corners area exploring native art and cave dwelings. It'll be a vacation you'll never forget.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
RussP

Post by RussP »

Mike, thats just what it was like on Hal's 28 running back to PE.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
JK

Post by JK »

John,

You'll love it out there in UT. I spent 4 years out there after college messing around and it is awesome. Talk about big sky country...it's impressive. Are you heading south the Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches and Moab?

--JK
randall

Post by randall »

spent five years in utah myself.....when my son was 12 we took him on a whirlwind tour of the west...it was a great trip ...brice is other worldly and the grand canyon (north rim) needs no intro ....but also highly recomend canyon de cheyelle...totally unbelievable and mesa verde.......good friend emailed me today from dead horse point...which is near arches.....which is also great...and thats just the south.....the northern rockies are pretty cool too.....good luck
John F.

Post by John F. »

The general plan is to fly in/out of Salt Lake, and spend time in the Moab area. We're still trying to figure out the details. Thanks for all the input.

John F.