Diesel Fuel Filter choices

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnD

Diesel Fuel Filter choices

Post by JohnD »

While I'm waiting to get started on my conversion, I've been mulling over which type of fuel filtration to use. I've read what Tony from Boatdiesel writes on the topic and my local guy says Racor. I assume Fleetguards would be easier to service?? but Racor's cheaper per element??

I'm kind of torn, so I thought I'd solicit opinions from the faithful.

Racor or Fleetguard?

Single per-motor or dual per-motor?

btw, I'm in Maryland the land of crapy humidity in the summer.

Thanks in advance,
JohnD
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Racor 500MA, one per engine. Racor 120AS for gen set, one only.

Filter Element: 2010PMOR - 30 Micron for the 500
Filter Replacement: R12S - 2 micron for the 120AS

One of the best places to buy from: marinefilters.com

Br,

Patrick
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Thanks Capt Patrick,

Though I'm thinking I'd need the 900's/1000's for the 3126/420hp Cats??

marinefilters.com is a great place. I had gotten the spin-on filters for my gas motors there.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'll ditto what the Ole Fart suggests. In rec. use, the 500's are fine up to about 300 hp. They are small, easy to install and fool with. I'm a personal advocate of the Algae-X magnetic fuel treatment units because I have kept good fuel logs and have seen a dramatic decrease in filter element changes, smoke, and about a 10% increase in fuel economy. I've got Cummins 6BTA 250s with mucho hours.

On a much more fun subject, my son, the rich & famous Capt. Brent, took his old man fishing today in some lakes just outside Baton Rouge owned by a good friend that many of you met in Panama last June. We caught all the sac a lait (crappie to you yankees) we could ever want, then went to another swamp lake and caught some bream over 2# on light tackle. These were so big I was wondering if a nuke plant is nearby. I sent a pix to Patrick & he can post it if he sees fit. Sho beats working.......heat the grease!

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Though I'm thinking I'd need the 900's/1000's for the 3126/420hp Cats??
John,

I doubt that you'd be sucking over 60 gph, so the 500s would work, but you'd certainly be OK with 900s. The 1000s would be way over kill at 180 gph rating...

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Patrick, thanks for posting the pix of me with the giant bream showing that old guys can still fish, and better yet catch.

With the 3126s I'd go with he 900s since the fuel flow would be marginal for the 500s due to the large fuel return to the tank. Remember the diesel engine returns about 2/3 more to the tank than it burns on average. As for the genset, on AJ I have a 500 for the genset for the simple reason that I don't want to carry a bunch of different filter elements. But if the truth be known, the old genset had a 500 when I became her steward in the early 90s and the enemy of good is better......

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Filters

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I started out with 500's on my 6BTA's, but had a dirty tank problem. When I sucked it out and cleaned it, went back with 900's, much btter. The larger filter capacity gives you a lot more leeway.. Use the Algae-x units, they help, and i also run big electric "boost" pumps in front of the Racors. Put ball valves on both sides of the Racors for changing filters. Bruce's advise about the gauges (Doc's post about fue problems) is also good.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Many thanks, I was leaning toward the 900 anyway. From thier website it looks like they've redesigned the filter elements so there may not be that much difference between them and the fleetguards anyway.

UV, that crappie looks prudy... The perch are starting to kick in here in the chesapeake and Rock (stripers) are starting to be caught in the warm water discharges of the local power plant. Time to awaken from hibernation...

That was a good tip from Bruce to check the pickup screen, I'll definetly do that. I have to give the tank a good inspection anyway to make sure it hasn't started to break down. I was planning on pulling the access plate to do the inspection and will make it a point to clean the pickup screen.

I certainly don't want to replace the tank, though I do belive that if it has to be replaced then so be it and I'll just have that much more confidence that it won't be a problem in the future.

br,
JohnD
Capt. Mike Holmes

Racors

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

My neighbor uses the 900 series Racors on his 3208's ( 375 hp?), we buy elements together. Elelments cost a little more than for the 500's, but I don't have to change them nearly as often.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."