Bertram 68' MY

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Bertram 68' MY

Post by IRGuy »

A friend I occasionally help move boats called me Sunday AM to tell me he and the owner were moving a 68' 1985 Bertram MY, and invited my wife and me to stop over for a look before they departed. I have never seen a Bertram MY that large and my wife and I went for a look see.

The listing for the boat can be seen at this link.. It was impressive to say the least, particularly for a boat that old. It even has an elevator. The owner says he got it at a good price, but isn't saying what he paid.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Be ... xfl0TArLIU

One can only dream!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Re: Bertram 68' MY

Post by Tony Meola »

She is not original and the add is wrong. Leads you to believe Bertram Yachts do the remake.

But I digress. I remember when we bought our 31 in 1975, the Motor Yacht was a big deal. If you had one that meant you had money. They were really nice for the time. If I remember right they had an aft cabin.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I thought these larger older Bertrams were called Bertram International or something like that and they were made by different company than the company that built the 31's. Didn't Richard Bertram start this company after he sold Bertram? Isn't the superstructure aluminum with fiberglass hulls on those boats?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I don't know what it is, but there's nothing ugliest. Nouveau riche exterior mixed with saudi arabian style interior...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

buzzk,

Actually Bertram Yacht built a 58' Convertible (58'3" LOA, 17'11" beam) from 1977-83 that was fiberglass from the gunwales down but the decks and superstructure were made of aluminum for weight control; so it was a true Bertram Yacht.

You are correct that the Bertram International was a motoryacht built by another company (maybe in Taiwan). The company paid Richard Bertram for the name for obvious reasons and offered a 56' and a 63' around 1970-73, but they looked more like a Trumpy to me than a Bertram. I don't think they ever got much traction even though Dick Bertram appeared in their early ads.

I'm pretty sure the one posted above was a factory Bertram MY that was "stretched" by adding the cockpit; least it looks like that to me.