Eiremar Repower - Engine Beds and Mounts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Eiremar Repower - Engine Beds and Mounts

Post by Vince Luciani »

Hello Gang,

I’ve been busy working on the repower projects and things have been going well. I wanted to share some pics with everyone. Thanks to everyone here on the site for sharing your knowledge and experience. It certainly has made the project possible for me.

The engine mount construction actually went smoother than I could have imagined and I’m very happy with the setup.

You will note that the engine mounts are steel. I just didn’t have the capability to do the aluminum welding onsite. I intend to paint the mounts very well to hold off the rust. Any advice for coating/painting those mounts?

Thanks again for the help. I’ve got some more questions coming.

Vince Luciani

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Vince,
Several years ago I contracted to build brackets and other hardware for Contel Cellular that were being installed on communication platforms just off the coast of Georgia. I understood that this communication system was used to train fighter pilots.

All of the parts were made of A-36 mild steel and required a specific coating.

The brackets were to be blasted white then coated with Inorganic Zinc primer then coated with 2 part Epoxy then top coated with 2 Part Urethane. We were required to radius all of the edges so that there were no sharp corners.

I have very successfully used the same process to paint marine engines in later years but I omited the Inorganic Zinc.

The method used by Contel is pretty labor intensive..........If you feel that you must paint the brackets I would certainly recommend this process but you may consider Hot Dip Galvanizing...........a lot less work.....good corrosion resistance.........and will last for years.

Harry Babb
hb
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

BEAUTIFUL SIGHT.. LIKE HOW YOU LOWERED THE REAR MOUNTS... KEEP PLENTY OF PAINT HANDY...
Those 330s?
wAYNE
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

You're movin right along! Looks great...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hot dip galvanize as mentioned may a simple and cost effective method, you'll probly have to drill weep holes in tubes though.

I wonder about the Coal Tar epoxy I used to coat the fuel tank? From what I read about it the stuff is supposed to be extremely durable in the worst conditions (engine room).