Penetrating oil

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Penetrating oil

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

A couple of Chevron machinists turned me on to a recipe for home made penetrating oil -- a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. They claim it works better than anything on the market. Just FYI...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Penetrating oil

Post by mike ohlstein »

Works great, but best to mix in a small batch. Shake well and use.

Will separate in a short time, and if unsealed, the acetone will just evaporate.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Just an aside, As much as I love CX, there are some things that I use other oils for.

I have a Ford Van, and the rear and side doors have exposed hinges which have a tendency to rust internally. I've been using Kroil, applied with an industrial syringe. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Syring ... ds=syringe

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137203 ... HwodE6ME6g
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
Been using kroil for over 20 years, I think back then it was kanoil or kano aerokroil or something like that. Got a couple of gallons of it.
Great for a bore cleaner among many other uses.

Since getting out of the boat game full time, I don't find myself using CX that much anymore except on maybe old squeaky car door hinges.

There are a number of potions using tranny oil that work well.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

used kroil oil on the job for 30 years
good stuff still have a few cans
bruce you are right it use to be called
aerokroil
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Bruce:

How long you been out of the boat game? What is keeping you busy these days?

Mark
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Been out full time since 10'.
I got 3 people I help out ocassionaly but my full time work now is building hi performace custom cars, resto mods and #1 restorations.
Put in about 55 hours a week.

Current projects are 4 mustang coyote conversions. A 66 fastback new from the ground up, 66 mustang convertable, 1970 mach 1 and a 69 which will get one of the coyote aluminator which we will twin turbo for about 1200hp. The 70 mach one will get a whipple super charger for just around 1000hp when done. The other two have the 420hp coyotes.

A 58 lincoln restoration, a 58 caddy that got an LSA supercharged with full suspension change and air ride. A build from miami with an LS9 SUPERCHARGED IN A 73 TRANS AM. Full race sub frame. Most all the projects are using Tremecs 5 or 6 speeds. The 66 fastback is an auto.

An S10 drag truck, a Grumpy's Toy twin. Half dozen vettes(i hate theses cars with a passion), old pickup, 68 firebird convertable, 3 or 4 60's camaros, a couple z28's and i'm probably forgetting stuff.

I started in cars. Rebuilt my first engine at 13 and at 16 had an after school, weekend car repair business with a buddy using his garage. Went to airplanes after that, then boats, now back to cars.

I work for someone, its not my shop. We have a full paint and body bay, parts bay and 3 metal/welding guys, and me and another for the actual mechanic work/builds.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

i'm probably forgetting stuff
and a broke dick jeep,
in a mesquite treeee...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

OK Bruce you have been holding out on us. Sounds like you are busy as hell but it sounds like fun. Do you know of anyone in your neck of the woods that does stand alone computer tuning, specifically F.A.S.T. xfi? Been running it for a few years now but it could use a chasis dyno with someone that really knows tuning. I'm more of a experimental tuner by trial and error.
I should have bought mainstream computer system but you know me, I always seem to take a risk by going outside the norm.
My car has not left the county in about 7 years. Would like to get it right and hit the track some weekend. I think the farthest north it has been is Cheeca Lodge when I picked up the care package you gave me.
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

It had been rumored that Ted Vernon was increasing the size of his operation - now we know.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach. Sorry I missed your car at Cheeca.

Pat,
The jeep was fun.