Off topic-Trucks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Off topic-Trucks

Post by John F. »

I want to simplify things a little, so I sold my car and currently have my 1997 GMC w/170K miles. I want to get a new truck, and am leaning towards a mid-size. I'm either going to buy this fall, or wait to spring so I can get a better feel for how the new Tacomas are doing. My choices are pretty much a GMC Canyon, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma. I've driven them all, and the Toyota is nice, the GMC is the nicest, and the Frontier is not as nice as the rest but pretty nice and a little cheaper. Anybody had one of these and want to comment, good or bad?

If I go back to full size, I'd probably get a Ford F150 with the 5.0/302. The Ram didn't do it for me, and I'm not sure about the new GMCs. I don't like motors where they shut down cylinders. I have no need for a 2500, or a diesel. The truck will be a daily driver, have a small bed for hauling stuff to the boat yard in the winter, and be able to tow my B20, which only weights about 4K on the trailer (why I don't need a 2500 or diesel).

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
1962 31

Re: Off topic-Trucks

Post by 1962 31 »

mid sixe you cant go wrong with a Tacoma resale is the best in the market
full size 1500 I love my new Silverado quad cab short bed rides like a car
the dod is not noticeable unless you try to feel it
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I was looking for a mid-sized truck recently. I was dumbfounded to learn that they cost just as much and get basically the same gas mileage. The only upside for me was urban driving and ease of parking. I assumed they cost significantly less and got great mileage. I'm not really understanding the benefits of a V6 if it burns basically the same amount of fuel as the V8, while towing/hauling less and pushing a smaller vehicle.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I have a 2013 Frontier. It was much less than the tired and unchanged Tacoma. It is due for a full upgrade in 2017 and there are rumors that it will come with a diesel option.

It could be quieter road noise wise, but I really like it. I have the 4 door with a 6 foot bed. Need that 6 foot bed. Turning radius is so so. that longer bed caused the difference.

Would I buy it again over the Tacoma, yes, over a Ford no.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
I was in your shoes years ago. I bought a Dakota for easy of parking. I have not a full size truck in 20 years. The milage on a mid size is same as a full size. A friend has the Colorado 06 he doesn't like it. He has had some problems with fuel pump issues over an over again. I think the Colorado is getting a update this year, new diesel 4 cy next year. You can't go wrong with the tocoma or frontier. I hope to get back into a full-size truck next year. The new truck turn as good as mid size no days and as good fuel economy. Good luck with your decision.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I have 3 separate friends that have a Tacoma. Two are on their second one and all of them tow small boats. I've done a number of 100 mile trips out to montauk with and without a boat in tow. I wouldn't personally consider any other mid size based one my experience. I also happen to like the Ram as far as full size go.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

21mpg highway in my 2012 F150 ecoboost...light, of course. Will tow a house and stop it, too. 42k miles now with LOTS of towing and long highway drives with trailers and the average mpg is 17.

I don't understand the market for mini-trucks...go big or go Prius!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a friend who loves his F150 ecoboost. He is on his second one, only because he trades them in for tax purpose. He is very picky about his vehicle, having owned two Ferraris, a few Porche's and a Rolls Royce.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The ecoboost is powerful for sure. The two turbos are well muffled but the keen ear can tell they are under the hood. Milage is not bad either. Would like to see the latest mpg numbers with the aluminum body versions.
Sure beats owning a government subsidized Chevrolet product!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I was not interested in the ecoboost 6 banger until I drove it. Much more power than the 5.0. Very impressed so far
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Just to add, I went midsize since the F150 will not fit in the garage. The Frontier is plenty big enough for what I need.

Rumors have it Ford is going to bring back the Ranger. I have a 95 Ranger that I bought new and now leave at the House down in South Jersey. It makes a great second vehicle when we are down there, and it also serves the purpose when I am working on the boat at the Marina in the spring and Fall.

If Ford brings back the Ranger, I will be taking a hard look at it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

I've had a series of short bed Chevrolet trucks - all very satisfactory and racked up many miles. Last time around I got a Ram, simply because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Ram is now up to 90K, has been basically trouble free except for a front wheel bearing and except that you don't just get a bearing for a Dodge, you have to replace the entire hub at great cost. I've never gotten used to the decreased visibility caused by the size/placement of the driver's side front pillar. Next time I'll probably go back to Chevy.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the advice. A full size is great, but mine can be a bit of a PIA when I take it into the city and park it in a lot or a garage. I knew the pre-2016s Tacomas had a good rep, and its good to hear that the Frontier is a good truck too. If I go mid-size, I'll really miss the full size bed. I plan on buying a couple sheets of teak/holly ply for the B31 on Friday, and it'll be nice to just slide the sheets into the bed between the wheel wells and go. Again, thanks for the advice.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

John,

Not that I have to tell you, my advice is 2500 Dodge tradesman with 6.4 or 5.7 if you don't like multi-displacement. The 2500 gives you beefer brakes and suspension which you may not NEED, but don't hurt and the ride of the 2015's is way better than my '04

other than that, my neighbor has a very nice F150 ecoboost & they've got some good incentives.

Forget about the parking thing, your close to the end and it isn't that often anyway. I have no problem with my '04 quad cab shortbed in garages, its neat to hear the antena whack on the overhangs...

Cheers,
John D