Eventful Maiden Voyage

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Eventful Maiden Voyage

Post by moguls2go »

Picked up our new boat on Friday in Tiverton, RI with the intention to run it back to Portsmouth, NH that afternoon and the following day. We got a late start because a squeaking fan belt on the stbd motor revealed an alternator bearing on its last legs. We had that replaced but by the time it was finished it was too late to go. So we slept on the boat Friday night and took off Saturday morning through Buzzards Bay and to the Cape Cod Canal. When we pulled in for fuel at Sandwich I noticed an odd noise at idle, which turned out to be a loose fan belt on the port motor. We didn't have the tools to fix it... and you know how it ends. An hour out of the canal the motor overheated, so we limped to Scituate on one motor. I've read about oversized rudders as a lurker here... sure would have been nice. As we pulled into Scituate, the stbd motor decided it would start to stall at idle speeds, so it was an exciting entrance to say the least.

Hoping Scituate Boat Yard can help us out this week so that we can complete the trip later this week or next weekend. Definitely not the way we imagined taking delivery would go, but glad to be safe n sound.
Max
Kevin

Re: Eventful Maiden Voyage

Post by Kevin »

Max,
Brings back memories. When you said buzzards bay I expected to hear about poor sea conditions. I remember going through there as a kid. Grew up in scituate and went through canal and bay several times. Dad always a little concerned going through woods hole in a single engine boat. If I recall he said if the engine quits we are screwed. He said the same thing about the north river just south of scituate. We spent a lot of time sitting at the mouth timing the breakers.....just waiting for the right time to make the dash in.
Good luck with your repairs. They don't sound all that bad but it sure makes it a long trip even longer. I bet you will end up getting those rudders!
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Moguls - what boat did you purchase?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sounds like a good luck maiden voyage to me.

It took me almost a year to be confident running the boat on one motor or without steering. I hope you had read about "Brews bucket" in advance!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

MarkD wrote:Moguls - what boat did you purchase?
It's a '68 FBC called Ranger out of Tiverton RI
Max
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

PeterPalmieri wrote: hope you had read about "Brews bucket" in advance!
I hadn't, but I can picture exactly what the recommendation is... I'll be sure to bring a 5 gal bucket along when we complete the trip- good call.
Max
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Max-
Sorry to hear about the engine troubles. You will get them sorted, and you got a story to boot.
Stuff like this just gives you a faster evolution to it being "YOUR" boat.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

Its a shame to happen on your maiden voyage...but at least not overly far from port, weather wasn't bad and quite fixable.

Older boats not run often have those kinds of pain in the arse issues when you start running them again. As she becomes more and more yours, you'll sort them all out then stay on top of the newly developing issues before they turn into limping back to port problems.

Good luck next week.

Carl
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

I live in Scituate if you need anything feel free to call me 774 297 0264 (mike) the Scituate boat is a pretty good place to deal with a friend of mine has used them a few times Good luck
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Our boat is home after a long month of repairs. We had a great weekend with the family and some friends- what a relief to finally have the boat in its new home.

A special thanks to Mike "handle bertram20", who provided a ride for our delivery captain and mate between a car rental location and the harbor. He refused all gifts offered... I've read about the friendship between Bertram owners here for years and can testify that it's genuine! Thank you again, Mike!
Max
Carl

Post by Carl »

Good deal on bringing her home...now comes the challenge of bringing her up to your standards so you can accompany Brewster to Cuba for some offshore fishing.

And Yes, it is genuine...Thanks Mike for keeping the tradition going.

Carl
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

Max glad I was able to help you out i am glad she made it home in one piece and that you are getting to enjoy the boat! Good luck and keep in touch.