Question on 4D Batteries and Charger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Question on 4D Batteries and Charger

Post by Hueso »

I bought a Promariner ProSport 20 Battery Charger (20 amp dual Bank / 12/24 Volts DC) for my two 4D battery installation as the one I had died after approximately 9 years of use. The genius and electrician in me (pun intended) installed the charger and did not read the small bold letters on the box were it said: "Not for Group 4D or 8D batteries. Please see ProMariner's ProNautic P Series at http://www.promariner.com" The system has a built-in "System check" and everything read ok after I installed it and the batteries are fully charged. My questions are what effects (negative or positive) will this specific charger have in my batteries? Do I have a fire hazard? My use of the boat is once every weekend or two. Therefore, I do not need fast charge. I have called customer service at Promariner in five occasions, to no avail. Please help.
Tony Meola

Re: Question on 4D Batteries and Charger

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

I looked through the site and did not see a limitation to the 4 D's.

As long as you have the charger set on the correct setting, lead acid, gel etc, you should be ok. The only thing I can think of is that the 4D is fairly high in amperage but do not see why that would make a difference.

By the way, next time around save your back and install Grp. 31's. They should spin the gassers and leave you room some place to put a third for a house battery. Wire them right and you can bring all 3 online to start an engine if you needed too.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

My guess its a heat issue. Since its water proof it has no cooling fan and cools thru the case.4&8 d batteries can extend charge times when low possibly damaging chargeri n the manufacturer s eyes.
Make sure charger is well ventilated and the batteries kept up.
Given the crap quality of Chinese electronic components and manufacturers bids to cut costs thus reducing surge suppression and heat transfer thru inferior heat sinks, heat kills
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Thank you
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hueso
personally if your using the boat once or twice a week
your batts should be fine, if your not drawing from it.
I agree with bruce on the heat issue
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

try small solar panels..slight trickle..been using for years on a mooring
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I would think the wind turbines would be better than a solar panel on a mooring, your not faced towards the sun very often and it get dark, the turbines work any time the wind is blowing and it does not matter which way you are facing, cloudy, dark, anything. Only issue is the noise, but they have gotten pretty quiet now.
Scott Traenkle