A painting question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tooeez

A painting question

Post by Tooeez »

I am refinishing an outboard cowling, and need some guidance regarding clearcoat. I have the factory matching paint, clearcoat and new decals. The question is: after I paint the cowling, do I put the decals on, then cover them with the clearcoat, or should I clearcoat the cowling first, and put the decals on after? Or should I just skip the clearcoat altogether?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: A painting question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tooeez,

Check with the manufacturer of the decals to find out if they are impervious to the clear coat. If they are then you can put them on ahead of the clear coat, other wise put them on after...

If the system is a typical 2 stage paint, the base paint is a flat with no gloss single part paint to be followed by a 2 part clear coat which is what creates the gloss and protects the colored base You need the clear coat, usually 2 to 3 coats for minimal protection of the base. The base should also go on heavy enough that it can be lightly sanded, usually with 400 wet paper to remove surface irregularities.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I repainted the cowling on my Yamaha outboard a while back. The sun down here is brutal if you do not have the engines covered. The decals were on the outside of the clear coat. Man, were they expensive. I used the Yamaha rattle can and put down 3 coats of base coat, sanded with 600 wet/dry and then 2 coats of clear. Then I put on the decals. Turned out like new.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Thank you--decals after the clear coat it is!