26 express v berth doors

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jodymcc

26 express v berth doors

Post by Jodymcc »

Hey guys I am restoring a 84 26 express and am looking for v berth doors any help or ideas would be great.
thanks
Bertramp

Re: 26 express v berth doors

Post by Bertramp »

I used starboard (i think 3/4")on a 24 Topaz for vberth doors and it worked great.
Routered some vents and never had to re-address.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
scot

Post by scot »

Replacements are near impossible, so you will need to build your own, or have them built. Starboard is a good idea as noted. Bertram used plywood with Formica covering. I am facing the same decision on my 25 project. At first I turned up my nose at the original plywood with Formica, until I realized it lasted 40+ years. Not a bad run for something that easy to build, cheap and old school :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

scot wrote:Replacements are near impossible, so you will need to build your own, or have them built. Starboard is a good idea as noted. Bertram used plywood with Formica covering. I am facing the same decision on my 25 project. At first I turned up my nose at the original plywood with Formica, until I realized it lasted 40+ years. Not a bad run for something that easy to build, cheap and old school :-)
As Scott said the plywood lasted 40 years. Teak is another option but much more expensive. If you use outdoor plywood, and give it a good coat of epoxy thinned with alcohol, let it soak in then proceed on, it will easily outlast you and the next two owners.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

And, if you get really nice quality marine plywood (okume, meranti etc) it will look almost as good as teak...