dolphins while fishing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

dolphins while fishing

Post by Bertramp »

You're in FL..... trolling, trying to catch some tuna........a bunch of dolphin (Flipper) swim by.......pack up and move ? ....... stay near, as fishing will probably improve ?
I've heard both sides ......
Please enlighten me
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
1962 31

Re: dolphins while fishing

Post by 1962 31 »

stay with em life is always a good sign
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Stay with them... The dolphins (Flipper type) go after the same bait fish as the other dolphins (Mahi Mahi a.k.a. Dorado type) and sailfish etc go after...

And, in my experience, they're smart enough NOT to go for my bait/lures... Maybe something to do with those big brains they allegedly have... If you do hook one of them, cut the line as close as you can to the hook... The hook will rust and fall out in short order... You're using steel hooks right?!...

Plus, IMHO they (Flipper type dolphins) are cool!... I've gone swimming with them (in the wild)!...
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

If they are jumping at your bow following (or I may say leading) you, stop the boat and this will help dissuade them.......if they are not, stay around because they are chasing fish (tuna, mahi, bait fish, king mackerel).
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Pulled a sixty pound plug yf out from under a pod of dolphin during the Tri State a few years back landed us $5000 in Calcutta. Stay with em.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I completely disagree. I live in Florida and the usual consensus with the fishermen here (and myself) hate to see dolphins. They run the fish off. A few of us also like to shark fish and know dolphins are a bad sign. Dolphins and sharks don't like to be together.

Yes, sometimes the fish are there with the dolphins....but won't be there for long. Usually they are smart enough not to eat the lures. But if they do it sucks.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Regions are different but in Cabo we look for the porpose to find the tuna. I'd stick with em!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Allways caught Tuna when around dolphins and Whales.

If you were drift fishing for smaller fish then I would say move. Dolphin/Porpose don't bother Tuna. They might eat a Dorado/Mahi, especially a smaller one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315