last dangerous hunt

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

last dangerous hunt

Post by bob lico »

leaving for cumberland forrest Tn. i received and invite to go along with law enforcement officers to track and harvest some real mean Russian boars that broke out of a containment and multiply in the forest with no natural predators to control.these tough boars go to 500 pounds and attack anything that moves.going with 35cal. Whelan with 225 grain hand loaded Nosler partition bullets.i will try to photo results if any.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Navatech

Re: last dangerous hunt

Post by Navatech »

Have fun, keep safe and remember, you're no spring chicken anymore...
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Bob - it would be helpful to me if you could write down in this post that should you not return, the Phoenix will be given to me free of any liens or encumbrances.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

I presume you'll also be carrying a large cal side arm. The long gun is fine for that 50 yard and over shot, but up close and personal, I'd want some backup in the range of .357 mag - .44 mag.

Have fun & be safe!
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I agree with Patrick !! ... and I still like the reliability of revolvers as your back-up
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My S&W classic hunter is much like my Amex card.......I don't leave home without it.

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. i am with 7 PO. and they all took advantage of fed law 219 which allows a PO. to travel with pistol to any state in union as long as he qualifies every year. i cannot travel thru NJ. with pistol and they know that,so i will be without side arm.i would not mind if feral hogs in FL.or TEXAS but this is breed of imported Russian boar that broke thru fence and bred in forrest.they will attack anything and one was harvested by a few locals last week that went 500 lbs. truly a armor plated beast that normally must be shoulder shot to break down and keep from charging then killing heart shot to finish off.to make matters worse they have fantastic sense of smell and hearing far,far,superior to feral hogs.a double set of razor sharp tusk going up and a set going do ward keeps bears at distance!!!!each hunter will cover a sector and will be drop off by quad in morning and pick up at night------your on your own ----place your shot carefully.------------out
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
I fuuly expect from you quality boar hunting such as this.
http://fishgame.com/2015/03/german-hunt ... oars-video

That .35 W is a great round.

Good shooting and be carefull. Them things are nastier than Liquida finding out her baby daddy cheated on her.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce what would you choose? 225 grain Nosler partition bullets or TRI-SHOCK 225 grain Barnes bullets for the 35 whelan.??? incidentally you can hunt those feral hogs for free in texas .major difference is from distance they are round from front to tail the Russian boar looks like a huge bull dog with shoulders much larger then rump and meaner then a junkyard dog. when US Forests service or DEC calls for a hunt they don`t advertise and those whom do it sign a wavier.they use law enforcement people so they can save money/time with background check on federal land.you know they are not going go for front page news or press release to thin bison in yellowstone park but they are slated this year for this..National park service controls that activity and must deal with liberal tree huggers.some guys in real great shape may also take out a overgrown grizzly population.same thing your on you own no quads,no help, you heard it before "sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you" they normally find your bones in the spring.my friend Charlie lives just off park north end( Wyoming) and lives for hunting/guns/hand-loading.grizzy adams type very happy! no dependants.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Either one should do especially if going for the neck vertebrae shot to drop on the spot like that video I posted. If I was going for the shoulder or both shoulder shot I might lean towards the barnes slightly.

Stay safe and have fun.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Great video Bruce. Stack em up like cord wood!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bob Lico: The new "most interesting man in the world"
Sounds like fun Bob. If it bleeds, you can kill it!
Post up some pics when you get back.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If it bleeds, you can kill it!
Okay You've all read it. Kevin has declared open season on ex wives!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

None of 'em worth the cost of a round....
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I prefer someone with a 12 gauge loaded with slugs as a backup!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am back in body only!! great start i dropped a 375 pound beast at a 125yards on a full run thru brush. whoopi do and that is
the end of good news.john a federal agent from Florida shoots a beast from 75 yards or so with 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double o or triple o buck shot and the boar did not flinch and turns on him but unknown to him another comes out of bush and knocks him down into a tree and down hill.luckily he had a fancy SAT phone along with his partner.whom radio rescue/ambulance.took 45 minutes to get emt on to location so i did the first aid thing to stop huge gash in right leg.john comes into camp next day all bandage up with broken shoulder,damage rotator cuff and some other damage in a world of pain along with a slew of stitches in leg.did not take photo`s in field so i photo a couple of beast display on wall.i took home a 120 quart cooler loaded with a butchered boar.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no more crazy hunting bare in mind these beast are triple the size as in that video bruce posted. the smart thing to do is answer my cell phone and help this women with her corvette. she saw my rig and wants added performance.-----------got to think about this for a while

Last edited by bob lico on Mar 30th, '15, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Good story Bob.
Good topic switch too I might add.
If she wants performance, give it to her.......
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Like Bruce said you might have to kill the wife once she becomes your ex wife. If she see's that picture you will be sharing the freezer with Steve. I am sure both wives would have fun carving the two of you up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

bob lico wrote:got to think about this for a while
Assuming you're not married or otherwise in a relationship, are you ready to turn in your man card?!...
Carl

Post by Carl »

...anybody see a 120qt cooler filled with Butchered Bob should he make the wrong decision??
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: I think you have found the new "most dangerous game" to hunt!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl it is more like give the wife a fist full of dollars and a ticket to Paris for the week.i guess i will put a Pro- charger on her car with 100hp increase at rear wheels ."extremely" friendly she tidy up the bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

My customer buys Vortech chargers by the pallet, if you pick one out I might be able to get you a deal.
Easily 100hp, he's getting that on Jeeps and still CARB friendly.

Bob, your jumping out of the pot and into the frying pan...

My boats a bit dirty too....
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I do not know if Bob wants to pull a fast one at us! (pun intended). Take a closer look between those clean cut legs and you can see some protuberance that may be of concern. LOL!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

trust me Hueso it`s the real thing and a real blonde imported from Finland,no tats,no piercings, "el natural" that is the soft tan leather corvette seat folding however your mind is in the right place!
Last edited by bob lico on Apr 1st, '15, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

lets get back near to subject. what temperature do you keep the freezer at for long time storage of fish? i don`t normally catch stripe bass in quantity but sometimes sea bass,tuna to freeze.this question comes up with huge quantity of pork stored.i set basement freezer for 5 degrees and kitchen freezer for 14 degrees with short term storage . what are your throughs?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Coffin freezer beats a self defrost any day? That defrost cycle kills the meat over the long term.

Set it as cold as you can get it. That way if you loose power it will hold longer.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have a better idea...fire up the grill and we'll be over shortly....
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I believe that it's generally accepted that Zero Fahrenheit is safe for long term storage. Microbial activity has pretty much stopped at that point. Vacuum sealing extends your time as well.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi ... y/CT_Index
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Get a vacuum bagger if you don't already have one. Costco has a good one. Make sure the one you get has the marinade feature. I second 0 as the proper setting.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you brothers.i check basement deep freeze with IR gun and it is set at 4 degrees.kitchen freezer is 2 degrees so i feel safe especially with pork,fish.i vacuum pack and label everything .i have generator back up installed many years ago.i was able to bring to butcher some meat for sausage and have 15 rolls 15" long by 2" diameter.i cannot smoke at this stage but will use apple chips to smoke on BBQ.i wish we had some BBQ`S at rendezvous that would be a new venture.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Now that that is settled can we get back to the blonde? Height, weight, inseam?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

MarkS wrote:Now that that is settled can we get back to the blonde? Height, weight, inseam?
Bra size?!...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

gentlemen,brothers lets take a moment to think; some of us love Kim kardasian tucks,fillers,Botox,plastic surgery,push up bras,rear end implants , and some of us love Scandinavia women with natural silk bras very little makeup and nothing added to there body like piercings ,tattoos across there face so bra size is just a number however there`s are all real.i have a beautiful Israeli women to show you that is quite the opposite how ever natural beauty. Different strokes for different folks.lets get back to 31 bertrams!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

You know you are not getting off that easy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony you need to get a older corvette before summer .try to purchase a convertible i can help you. you need a Bertram & a Corvette in your older age trust me you are not getting any younger!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

LOL

If the Blonde comes with the Corvette, it would not be long after, that I would not be able to afford the Bertram or the Corvette because my future ex wife would have all the cash. LOL

But you are right, not getting any younger.

Plus just loosing my nephew at 49 years old to a brain tumor makes you stand up and look around and think about life.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony life is so short ,80% of my graduating class is disabled or gone! Tony get a c-3 corvette 1968 to 1972 and the rest will fall in place

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nice choice mike,you cannot go wrong with vintage small block chevy.no computers and parts are real cheap and always available for engine, trans.you drive to informal car shows and look around you everybody is 55 yo. plus .you get to socialize in a car collectors world as a change up or supplement to 31 Bertram world.good to have a little change up .obviously this advise does not apply to a guy up to his neck in home repairs,screaming children,and a boat taken apart and a family with the " when is the boat going to be ready" question every warm day. you cannot beat taking the corvette convertible or "T" top coupe to the marina to work on or enjoy the boat.
mike thank you for USDA. link although i am a little bum out after reading that sausage is only good for two to three months at 0 degree temperature freezer! going to have to give away a lot of meat at marina this year!!! last year gave away over two hundred pounds of tuna,and same amount of thresher shark because wife will not eat frozen tuna defrosted even done carefully by putting into refrigerator for day and then BBQ.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob- Consider a good vacuum sealing system. Makes a world of difference.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Carl: Are you referring to the pig meat or a different kind of protection!! I can't tell after the pictures above! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:Carl: Are you referring to the pig meat or a different kind of protection!! I can't tell after the pictures above! LOL!

LOL...Pig meat and Two Knee Fish
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl---------seriously are you indicating the chart mike posted on the USDA. requirements for freezing does not take into account that the pork,fish,venison,was properly vacuum bagged before freezing and i can disregard that chart and feel safe with six months in freezer????????
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Actually I have a soft spot for a lets say a 69 Shelby Cobra Mustang. Had an opportunity when I was about 28 to grab one for about 5 grand. Back then I did not have 5 grand to waste on a Shelby. Now I kick myself.

On the vacuum sealed meat and fish, you just about double the shelf life. Some say longer. I don't think longer will kill you. Just that the quality starts to go down hill.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

So on the Fish the chart doesn't have a fish column figure it falls under Wild uncooked game?
I still have Mako vacuum bagged and is about 10 months now I say lets eat Wife says to old?
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:carl---------seriously are you indicating the chart mike posted on the USDA. requirements for freezing does not take into account that the pork,fish,venison,was properly vacuum bagged before freezing and i can disregard that chart and feel safe with six months in freezer????????

Chart says at 0 foods are "safe" to eat indefinitely.

Now whether they will taste good or not is another story.

I feel confident in saying Quality Vacuum Sealing extends the quality of a product much longer then plastic wrap and freezer bags.

Best I can offer with how long will it last with quality intact. Monitor it, vacuum seal or wrap a few tasting portions. Every month or so cook up a piece. If you feel quality is starting wane...fire up the grill and have a party! I am sure quality won't go from "perfect" to "toss it" within a few weeks time.

...that is, unless of course the bag breaks, thats never a good thing.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you really want it to stay fresh, vacuum seal it, cut the top off of milk jug or other container, put the vacuum sealed meat inside, fill with water and freeze. The ice block will protect it from freezer burn.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31