Uncle Vic's garlic stuffed Boston Butt pork roast

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Uncle Vic's garlic stuffed Boston Butt pork roast

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Did two of these Friday and 12 poeple could only eat one, so got some real good left overs.

Get a boston butt, bone in, about 9#, look for a layer of fat on the bottom and plenty of fat marbeling in the meat. Wash it good in warm water, let it drain. Get some really fresh garlic, not the crap that's been sitting for months and is dried out. Peel as much garlic as you can stand fooling with, then slice the garlic length wise into slivers about the thickness of popsicle sticks. Take a sharp pointed knife and poke holes in the top and sides of the roast and push the garlic down in it, I use a pattern of about 1". Put the roast in a deep pan, elevated on a wire rack about an inch. Dust it good with sea salt (sea salt cooks 10 times better than regular salt).

Now let's make a rub. Take a small bowl and put about an inch of good extra virgin olive oil in, then enough sea salt to make the oil pretty thick, then spoon in a lot of crushed garlic - it comes in a little glass jar and is a puree'....if you can't get the crushed, puree' some minced garlic in the blender. Mix all that up unitl its a thin paste. Add some Tony Chachere's if you have it. Rub the roast all over (don't need to do the bottom) with the rub. Put it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours, uncovered. Throw away the fat that collects in the pan. After that I put it on the bbq pit (no pan, just plop it on the grill) with the top closed for about another 2 & a half hours (pit temp about 300-350) and use a meat therometer to see when it hits 170 degrees. Use indirect heat or it will burn up. I put some wet hickory chips on the hot side of the pit.

Anyway, the outside makes a great crust and the meat is tender and moist...... Around here a 9# roast costs about 12 bucks, so cheap eats, and damn good. I slice up the left overs and put enough for a few sandwiches in zip locks in the freezer.

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV...

My wife and daughter are both fantastic cooks.. I gave both a copy of Walter's cookbook for Christmas, and both have produced some fantastic meals from them. Your recipe will be in the hands of both of them by noon today!

Thanks