read Bertram has been sold

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

buzzk

read Bertram has been sold

Post by buzzk »

I read where Bertram has been sold and the new owner is going back to its roots. Building fishing boats. He's looking for a manufacturing plant in the USA. It read that he was going to build 25, 28, 31 and a 40 to 50 footer. i wonder what the new designs will be. After going to the boat show it seems like everyone wants outboards, I wonder if he'll offer them on the new boats.
Bertramp

Re: read Bertram has been sold

Post by Bertramp »

where did you read ? .... would love to get more info.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

A friend of mine who has sold a couple Bagliettos and the only Cerri in the US knows the owner. He paid about 8 million for just the name and will probably build Bertram boats in Italy, but unfortunately nothing we would recognize as a Bertram since no molds or tooling were included in the deal.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Craig,

Molds can be remade from an old boat. The question is what the market wants, and this is derived only by research. What we wish, as Bertram owners, is perhaps not what the market wants. Or whatever niche thereof the investor wishes to address.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I believe it was the marine trade journal on line. I erased it by mistake. When I get home I'll try to find it on my home computer. The owner stated that the boats would be built in USA not Italy in the article. He talked about building smaller Bertrams in 25, 28, 31. He didn't say he was going to use the old designs. But he did say Bertram was going back to it's roots.
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

It would be nice to see them build the boats for the less affluent and maybe that would drive the value back up for our Bertrams, but my source tells me they will be larger boats built in their shipyards in Italy. Time will tell. Stay tuned, now to your regularly scheduled programming.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Guys go to soundings trade only today. It's the Fed 15 issue. Google soundings trade only today and you'll find it.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Here is the text of the article Buzz is referring to...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIAMI (Boat Show) — With Bertram and Baglietto banners hanging in the background and Italian and American flags at his side, Italian industrialist Beniamino Gavio said Thursday that he’s still deciding how to revive Bertram Yachts, an iconic sportfishing brand, but one thing is certain: “You can trust that I will treat Bertram with great, great, great respect — the same as I’m doing with Baglietto.”

Argo Finanziaria, one of the Gavio Group of companies, signed a letter of intent with Ferretti Spa to buy the sportfish builder, which shut down production last summer at its leased boatbuilding plant on Merritt Island, Fla.

Gavio, president of Baglietto and Argo Finazaria, said in an interview at a reception at Miami Beach’s Soho House that he plans to buy the Bertram name and perhaps some of its molds. He said he is inclined to return to Bertram’s roots, building first a Bertram 31 based on the wood-hulled, Ray Hunt-designed deep-vee that won the Miami-Nassau Race in 1960. He might build an open and a flybridge version, then maybe a 25 or 28, a 36, then a 46.6.

Gavio bought a Bertram 54 in 1999.

“I love these boats,” he said. “Very simple, very strong.”

He promises that the new Bertram also will be simple and strong. “I’m not going to make an Italian yacht,” he said. “I’m going to make an American boat.”

He expects that the bulk of Bertram’s market will remain American. He said he’ll probably build the first couple of boats in Italy and try to have them ready for the Miami show next year. Meanwhile, he’ll be looking for a U.S. plant, probably in Florida, Georgia, or North or South Carolina.

He hopes to call Bertram dealers together during this year’s Miami show, and again at the Palm Beach International Boat Show, and share his plans with them.

The Gavio Group bought Cantiera Cerri in September 2011 and Baglietto in February 2012. Both were struggling yards. Gavio said he has invested 14 million euros in them.

Gavio says he has a passion for boats and the sea and a lot of respect for history and tradition. Bertram and Baglietto are steeped in both.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Jack

Post by Jack »

unabashed hyena lover
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Gavio says he has a passion for boats and the sea and a lot of respect for history and tradition. Bertram and Baglietto are steeped in both.
More than one guy who had a passion for boats lost his ass in boat building. With the dollar being strong and the euro in question in many countries this will be an interesting card game to watch.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Good to hear, needless to say I/we want the best for the name.
At the Lauderdale show, when I mentioned Bertram, everyone looked at each other with a look like "he doesn't know yet that grandma died" ..........
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Having done business with Italian companies for the three years I lived in Europe it certainly will be interesting. Unions are stronger than in the US.. quality control can be iffy, and production schedules only are good as long as the workers don't get too pissed off with management.

I don't pay much attention to exchange rates any more, but if hulls and decks can be built in Italy and powered and finished in the US there might be a price point and market for smaller Bertram style boats. Boats are built out of fiberglass, fiberglass is made from organic chemicals, organic chemical come from petroleum. Who is willing to predict what petroleum prices will be in Italy next year or 5 years from now?

I sincerely wish Gavio luck.. it would be great to see a line of smaller Bertram style inboards at a reasonable price.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

I agree smaller size Bertrams with inboards would be great but if the boat show is any indication of what people want they may have to offer outboards.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
The Bertram name being bought by the Italian investor sounds like what happened the last time. The big sportfishermen are only for the big bucks guys. Remember when the 31' Bertram's came on the market in 1961 they cost less than $16,000. with big block gassers. My Express was sold at the NY Boat Show in January of 1961 for $15,900. She had 413 Chryslers with FWC direct drive trannies an enclosed Groco electric flush head, 18 gallon cold water tank with hand pumps in the galley and head, it came with a Trend ice box and Square D breaker panel behind the cabin door. She had a Navy top and Pompanette helm and companion seating and a Dolphin fish box combo rear seat at the transom. To make the same boat again in todays prices would cost over $250,000 for bare bones gas boat and $350,000 for diesel power. The quickest way the make 8 million dollars in the marine industry is to start with at least 10 Million.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I was at the AC show and when of the sales guys asked me what I had. When I told him, he said he heard an Italian outfit purchased them. I thought he was mistaken since they were already owned by Ferretti.

But looking at what a 31 outboard cost, the cost to build a 31 Bert again would not be that far off the mark. The issue, for todays cowboys, not fast enough. Plus needs more creature comforts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315