Oil & Tranny Coolers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mack

Oil & Tranny Coolers

Post by Mack »

Changed out my tranny and oil coolers when I purchased my B31 almost 12 years ago. I am running 454's and do about 125 hrs per season in the mid-Chesapeake Bay where the salinity is approx. one third of that of the ocean.

All seems to be fine but obviously I don't want to wait until one of them fails. For those who run or regularly work on gassers, how often should I replace oil and transmission coolers? Curious what others are doing.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
MarkD

Re: Oil & Tranny Coolers

Post by MarkD »

Mack:

I am certainly no expert but I just replaced my 1988 Mercruiser small blocks engines and the coolers were original. They seemed fine but I opted to replace them with new aftermarket ones from this website at very reasonable prices. I sold my old ones on ebay. www.mrcool.us I did have my heat exchangers gone over and boiled out.

Mark
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My 440's were installed in the early '80's . I did not change my coolers until the mid-2000's, just because it seemed like a good idea, not because of failure. The engines are freshwater cooled, but the oil and tranny are saltwater cooled. The boat has been on the Rappahannock River all its life. Change the pencil zincs in them regularly.

I got the cupro nickel coolers from Lenco. Very nice product.

I would just get them pressure tested at a radiator shop and call it good for a while.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have small blocks, so I only have tranny coolers. I'm on the south shore of Long Island, and I change them about every five years regardless of hours. They are only about $125 each, and I think it's money well spent, considering the mess that results from seawater in a transmission.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tooeez
whats the name of your boat . I am in freeport
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Charlie, Too-Eez is the name. What's yours: I must have run across you in the neighborhood at some point.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

current affair, I am off the beach a lot chasing bass
what size is your boat
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

28 FBC. I spend a lot of time fluking, bottom fishing and hanging out at Zach's Bay.