Engine Alignment

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Doug Crowther

Engine Alignment

Post by Doug Crowther »

I want to have my alignment checked after four seasons/400 hrs. Is this something that is best done with the boat in the water or can it be done while on stands ? I had an old timer tell me its as simple as using a feeler guage around the trans/shaft coupling. I am taking both wheels to Black Dog propellors, a prop scan facility, and want to be sure I have no alignment issues for a vibration free season- at least in the begining. Is this complicated, are there multiple ways to do it and what is the most accurate ? Should I just pay someone with a lazer tool ? Need some direction here.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Doug:

I did mine in the water and used a dial indicator on the shaft. From what I understand, if you are shorthauling, the hull shape will be okay to do an alignment. But if you are going to be on the hard all winter, then the land would be a rough alignment and putting it in water for a few days will be the finetuning alignment.

I hope this helps.

Tom
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Doug,
Easy to do.

Loosen the coupling bolts and insert a 10 thousands feeler blade between the two flanges and snug bolts till you can just remove and insert blade with a little friction.

Check at: 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions without rotating shaft.

Where its too tight or too loose, insert other thickness blade till it feels snug goin in and out and see what the difference is.

Anything more than 3 to 5 thousands difference and you will have to adjust.

Don't use rusty old feeler blades.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto what Tom says....the boat needs to be in the water for a few days to get the right shape. The feeler gague is foolproof, try to get it under .003"

Whoopeeee! 81 and sunny, been baking cakes with our twin 3 yr. old grand daughters on the pea gravel path..... Sent them home with a bushel of camelia flowers, they are excited.

UV
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Doug, sounds like you've got some winter projects in the works.

Good advise on engine alignment.

Did you get rid of that other "shaft saver" yet? I think they were meant for someone who "cocktail cruise" not the way the Crowsnest runs ;)

br,
JohnD
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Uv,
I can't relate to blooming camelia's there is still snow melting outside the window. We are still several weeks away from even seeing crocus and narcisus. Looking forward to St Patrick's Day in Baton Rouge with Andre', da Judge, Timmy, and yourself.

Bruce,
many thanks- hopefully the shaft flanges themselves are true. Doing a lot of modifications to the flstf this winter. My dining room table is covered with harley parts.

John,
Re-doing my master bath, restoring a 94 land rover defender 90(roll over), modifying the harley, and the myriad of things going on with the boat. Timmy has my windows getting the frames powder coated and rubber set 1 piece tempered glass replacing the sliders (boat has luan plywood covering the holes right now, props-having 2 inches of pitch removed down to 21x22, engine alignment, topside glass work-to be started, new enclosure to be done, awlgriping, a/c thruhull to replace, a/c install to complete.

Toying with the idea of buying the old Anchor Inn on Rock Creek near you. 10,000 sq ft crab house/bar w/seating for 275, built out over the water with 22 boat slips of its own(could be more). Also has a 7 day abc on/off lisc,as well as a live entertainment lisc, so it has a lot of potential-not to many waterfront liquor stores in Pasadena or anywhere on the Western shore. Of course its decrepit and needs $250k worth of repairs-ie new pilings underneath the building. Would partner up with my next ex/current girl who has fifteen years in rest. mgmnt. Current owner is in a position to hold note for purchase price, repair money will come from winning calcutta money in all the tourneys this summer-yeah right.
What am I thinking ? I'm 45 and don't have enough energy for all of this and children with their spring sports schedules to boot !
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Look forward to seeing you. The bad news is I got deadlined (the bane of the legal profession) into taking depositions in Miami that week and probably won't get back until very late Friday nite.

UV
JK

Post by JK »

Doug,

Let me know when you are having the canvas work done, maybe they can swing by Philly on their way and do mine. What suggestions did the prop guys have...we pretty much have the same setup...300hp 1.5:1 trans and I turn 3000+WOT with 20x23 med cup 4 blade.

Doubt we'll make Montauk but do plan on coming to AC.

--JK
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Man, I was feeling a little swampped with my repower. Don't let my wife hear that you're also redoing your master bath. I told her that if we did diesels, no master bath this year & she agreed (She's a good gal).

Glad to hear you're working on the Anchor Inn. That's the next creek over from mine and would love to see it back in operation. There's a lot of $$$ in Pasadena to be spent at dock bar's. A theme similar to the tiki we went to on the way to the Shark Tourny last year would go well. Keep in mind that just down the creek is Window's On The Bay serving the higher end customers. A few years back the Anchor Inn played host to several Poker Runs, may be a good angle. I'll give you a call about it.

I picked up my generator, gauges, wiring, and glendinning last weekend to get them out of the yard's shop. The motors are on their way to T&S this week or next. With any luck I'll be plucking the old 454's the beginning of April. Though I'm not pushing any time clock I hope to be in the water by the end of August if not sooner.

br,
JohnD
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
What power did you end up with? The 3126'S or cummins? 350 hp. I would like to do fiberglass shaft logs and a few other projects. But we are planing major house renovations late this summer.So don't know if I'll have $$. Good luck with the repower. You will love them.
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I went with the 3126's 420hp, they come with 2:1 gears and I'm pricing trolling valves but would rather horse trade for a set of 1.75 or 1.5 to 1 gears. The Cummins were my 1st choice until this deal came along.

I agree with the fg shaft tube, but along with side exahusts and side air intakes, they fall under "Nice to haves" and not "Must do's".

Good luck with the house, you remember that old Chevy Chase movie "Money Pit"? I might be worth watching before you begin your renovations, it'll give you something to laugh about!

Who knows, maybe next year we'll be able to bring the LadyD down to OBX for vacation!!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Hey Doug keep a slip open for me and I will help with the payments!!! I don't drink a lot anymore; but I love crabs. I do understand the money is in the booze. My son-in-law is a restaurant manager. Maybe you can do a Bertram Chesapeake Rendezvous? Trump does alright on us. It's better to keep it in the family.