Third props the charm???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Third props the charm???

Post by JimmyG »

Not yet but getting close..... video of todays sea trial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeYkn2tfqyA
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: Third props the charm???

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Thanks for the ride!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

That's a rocket Jimmy ! I wonder what the fuel burn is at that speed.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't think the fish will have a chance look at that responsiveness, wow. Torque monster!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Yannis wrote:That's a rocket Jimmy ! I wonder what the fuel burn is at that speed.
3000 RPM 36 knots 17.5 gph each…. still tweaking WOT 37 knots @ 93% load with very light cup looks like we will put some more cup back in and call it a day
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jimmy, my B28 burns 2.5 liters per nm at 22-23 knots, with 2X240 almost new Yammies, thus, your 17.5 gallons X 3.8 LITS X 2 MOTORS DIVIDED BY 36 KNOTS = 3.69 LT/NM. This is 3.69/2,5 some 50% more in consumption. Of course you run at 36 as opposed to 23 and you fuel price is less than half , so go for it !!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

jimmy, jumped on plane in what 3 seconds? Pics are great but those vids sure are sweet. I see a go pro in my future.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
dcasey10

Post by dcasey10 »

JImmy this boat is sick. A cruise at 30knts... This is proof that you can have a way cooler, classic Bertram 31 that competes with the new large center console large outboards in terms of speed/price, and blows them out of the water in terms of quality.

must feel great up on a bridge at close to 40mph

DJ
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

dcasey10 wrote:JImmy this boat is sick. A cruise at 30knts... This is proof that you can have a way cooler, classic Bertram 31 that competes with the new large center console large outboards in terms of speed/price, and blows them out of the water in terms of quality.

must feel great up on a bridge at close to 40mph

DJ
I am very pleased with the results the boat is not only fast the hole shot is incredible, comes right up on plane in seconds! And even at 37 knots its stable as could be I will be talking to the prop guy tomorrow to make a final tweak while she rests for the winter but I confident ill see a few more knots at WOT. My major concern was natural bait trolling and with one in gear I'm 4.5 knots and 5.5 with two so I couldn't be happier thanks for all the help and input I got here from everyone.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I have describing this for ten years on this forum! Getting on plane looks like a nuclear submarine breaching.the boat goes up in the air at 45 degrees and comes down on plane.numbers exactly the same on top but cannot do 4.5 knots on one engine.wot fuel burn is considerately less . What does it feel like? Damm cold at this time of year .wind chill factor tremendous with front window up.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

bob lico wrote:I have describing this for ten years on this forum! Getting on plane looks like a nuclear submarine breaching.the boat goes up in the air at 45 degrees and comes down on plane.numbers exactly the same on top but cannot do 4.5 knots on one engine.wot fuel burn is considerately less . What does it feel like? Damm cold at this time of year .wind chill factor tremendous with front window up.
Bob, I have to say you and JP were a driving force with my decision to go with Cummins, I can't say anything about the Yanmars I had in my other 31 but now they seem like toys compared to these beasts LOL I just hope they last as long. The boat rides a lot different then my last 31 it rides like a much bigger boat must be the extra weight.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Alot of work, so glad your happy with results!

Should be..thing looks like a rocket popping outta the water.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy just remember to use cummins coolant enhancer .this supply's the essential lubricant for coolant water pump .normal auto store EPA approved has no heavy metals ( lubricant) in anti freeze. Next item is oil like I said I can get all the roteller oil I want for free in shop instead i go to cummins and buy valvoline blue ( same as nameplate over oil filter in your engines) required by cummins .big,big,big deference coming in after running offshore for a hour and other brand oils turns to piss and low oil pressure alarms starts going off and what you don't see is that other oil foaming if oil level is at full mark( crank throws hitting upper most level of oil in cummins low profile marine oil pan.) you must use the "BLUE" that cummins call for on tin nameplate!! Kept clean and painted every year with spray can of rust-oleum white with white heat paint on turbo and exhaust manifold will last at least 30 years.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473