outriggers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

outriggers

Post by thereheis »

whats is the most popular size outriggers that are used on a 31??lenght wise?i was thinking about going with single spreader rupp tournament 26'riggers?????not the slide in the tube type....any help ???

phil
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

28ft single spreader rupp with the 8ft base tube.

General rule of thumb is that the tips should be at or just over the transom. By mounting them one top of the house we were able to increase the spread when trolling and keep the gunnels clear when running up the sides.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thereheis

outriggers

Post by thereheis »

jp thanks so if i go with the 28' tournaments i would be ok ..so your total length is around36???? damn that looks clean also..very pretty boat ....hope mine turns out that nice..

phil
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Thanks your projects looking pretty clean too.

The base tube is available in different lengths 4ft 6ft 8 ft etc. When you order the riggers you should ask for the custom base tube in the length you decide. Our overall length is 28 ft. I believe the stock base tube is 6 ft, making these 2 ft. longer at 28.

The family business does quite a bit of Rupp Rigger distributor/install so if you need any help shoot me a pm.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thereheis

outriggers

Post by thereheis »

JP do you seem to get a little more whip in your riggers being up higher??i have tower mounted riggers on my intrepid and had bad luck with it bieng up so high,i had to change the angle on -em some,,but then again at 35kts in 3' sea something got to give,,,

phil
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We used mono rigger line tensioned via a jam cleat hidden under the gunnel to adjust the rigger tension on the lines and I found that a little bit of tension downward took alot of the shake out of the system.
We've run in some fairly uncomfortable stuff and the riggers are the quietest part of the show.
Keep in mind there was alot of time spent setting the drop arms and standoffs to get the system to function correctly.
But done right with the long base tubes- properly tuned spreaders and high standoffs you get very little "shutter" in the system.
Because of the geometry the halyards seem tall when the riggers are up. When dropped we pull in on the jam cleat and lower them to a more manageable position. As always if you have any questions give me a shout. I'm happy to help.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thereheis

outriggers

Post by thereheis »

thanks jp-by the way who made your hard top for you ?or was it already on the boat???
phil
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We had it done late 2005 when we began the project. Gulfstream Towers in Brick NJ did the work. The guys there have done alot of 31's, there are at least 4 31's in the yard we're at with different versions of this top.
If your interested give em a call, I know they've shipped some pretty big stuff.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John F.

Post by John F. »

JP-

I just got to comment that Chimera is one of if not the cleanest 31 I've ever seen. All the angles on the half-tower and outriggers lining up like that and the bases off the gunnels makes her look really special. Is she making the trip to AC this year?

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

jp......so pretty it hurts
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jp
that is nice
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Approximately what did that top set-up go for? Was the enclosure included? Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,
It doesn't look like the boat will make AC this year. There is still going to be alot of work to do on the interior. She'll fish the season with the interior "charter ready", but she won't be ready to say Howdy yet.

Walter I sent you a pm.

If anyones around Carver's just swing in she's currently in a lot of pieces all around the place, with most of it sitting on the railway in the big building.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Damm JP, not bad for a RLDT. But whats the rumor that your changing to those new volva IPwhatever drives?? I was talking to the northeast rep and he said you'd started paper work for a set.
le3

Post by le3 »

Jp

All I have to say is wow, that is a beautiful 31.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Baaaad boy!

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Timmy, did you bleed this over from the other thread? I was wondering when you'd kick in on the great IPS controversy? Probably couldn't use them in the tubb, wouldn't interface with the dump truck engines.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Huhhh?? whacha talking about willis??
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Thudd,
You know I'm a Cummins guy so it'll have to be the Zeus drives for sure. Think I can get them to retrofit a set onto some old dump truck motors, tubilicious for sure.
Grabbing your stuff off the boat this morning and I'll let you know where I'm staying tommorow night. Is there something closer to you than Worcester.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Everything is closer than woosta, even jersey. Can you get something closer to 495 or 290? or are you going to be in Auburn?
It's f***ing cold today. the bat wouldn't start and it was pluged in all night(guess the fact that it has 300k on doesn't help)
randall

Post by randall »

its not that cold here(26) but the wind is blowin off th water at about an even 50.....ice boats will top 100 easy
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Ice boat's-now there's a blow boat I might be able to get into. Anything that goes that fast has my attention.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Ice boat?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Randall, the ice boat at Port Eads delivered beer, too, and ran right up on the underwater docks, chasing the gators and snakes out of the way. Didn't go that fast, though.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."