Cummins 6BTA 300 HP-Wits End-Emergency

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jeffery pagano

Cummins 6BTA 300 HP-Wits End-Emergency

Post by jeffery pagano »

Within an hour of being in the water on the way to Montauk NY from the North Fork, the starboard Cummins (1989) of Wits End commited suicide. No compression at all in No.1 cylinder. If anyone has an idea concerning how I can locate a short block or a replacement engine, please let me know. I can be reached at 516.635.8411 or jpagano@crowell.com or through this location. Bob Lilco comes to mind as a great source, so Bob if you have any ideas let me know.
Navatech

Re: Cummins 6BTA 300 HP-Wits End-Emergency

Post by Navatech »

You say the starboard engine "committed suicide" and you only divulge that cylinder 1 has zero compression... Could you tell exactly what happened?!... Possibly the problem could be repaired... There are several reasons why a hole would show no compression... Not all of them require replacing the engine...
jeffery pagano

Post by jeffery pagano »

I was not there when the events unfolded. My son indicated that the throttle was at cruise 2,200 RPM. After a few minutes the RPM's of the starboard engine dropped after some metal "clanking". The engine still idled but would not spool up. The boatyard first indicated that it could have been the fuel pump. they came back to me indicating because of the no compression in the No 1 cylinder, time to purchace a replacement. Today I will try to figure it out as best as I can.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if anyone can hook you up it will be bob
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Time/cost factors which we here don't know it would be good to at least pull the rocker cover and see if a valve dropped. If valve train is intact next would be a bore scope in #1 to see if piston is moving up and down indicating a broke piston or rod.

I've run into a few broke pistons above the pin that left no wall damage and only parts required were piston, rings, gaskets.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

jeffery pagano wrote:The engine still idled but would not spool up.
If the engine still idled without too much "grinding" noise you might be looking at less then a full replacement...
jeffery pagano wrote:The boatyard first indicated that it could have been the fuel pump. they came back to me indicating because of the no compression in the No 1 cylinder, time to purchace a replacement.
I'm worried that the yard so quickly came to draw on the heaviest artillery... What examination of the engine have they done?!... What were the observations?!...
jeffery pagano wrote:Today I will try to figure it out as best as I can.
As Bruce said, remove the valve cover, visually inspect the rocker arms (if they exist), valves and valve springs... Turn the engine by hand and position the engine at TDP (Top Dead Point)... While turning, observe the actuation of the valves... Use a pry bar or large screw driver to press on the valves... You should be able to move them down against the spring which should move them back up...

So far so good?!... Remove the injector and insert a bore scope... Harbor Freight has them on sale now for about $65.00... Have somebody turn the engine by hand while you observe the inside of the cylinder... When the piston stops moving down LDP (Low Dead Point) stop turning and inspect the cylinder wall...

Report back and we'll see what the membership has to say...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Received your pm everything is a go.unfortunately that cummins is a pre 1995 . I can give you 3 options number one call mike at Beval located in central islip it is a diesel machine shop with the latest and greatest machinery mike will sleeve number one cylinder new piston,rod , rings ,bearing you will loose the summer.number two purchase short block i have numerous sources at least 20 . Number three cummins vets highway can deliver 18 recons. at your boat in 48hours.just a note go 1995 or newer entirely different short block all accessories will fit .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

1500 for short block is a the right price your lucky yanmar is 4500 if your lucky ask me how i know.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473