Shaft logs

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Shaft logs

Post by Capt.Frank »

The question is if I pull my motors for service this winter. I would like to instale fiberglass shaft logs. My shafts are 1 3/8" now, but If I were to ever up my HP from 210 hp to say 300 hp I would need 1 1/2" is it possiable to make the shaft logs for 1 1/2" and just use a 1 3/8" seal on the end?
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You can install a shaft log that will accommodate a 1-1/2" shaft and then run a 1-3/8" diameter shaft. The outside of the fiberglass shaft log and the outside diameter of the packing gland must be the same size for the hose to fit and tigthen up properly. I do not know the diameter of the hose connection of the packing gland but if its smaller than the OD of the fiberglass tube you will have to bush up the packing gland to the correct size.

Be sure to use the real heavy hose to connect the packing gland to the shaft log. If you use a light, thin walled hose, the hose could possibly fail.

On the second though I believe that if you follow Capt Pats instructions on installing fiberglass shaft logs the outside diameter of the fiberglass tube is 2-5/8"

I would like to hear how the project turns out.

Harry Babb
hb