Help with upper station shift control

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Help with upper station shift control

Post by MarkS »

This has been a thorn in my side ever since I splashed Razorsharp in 2005. The lower station controls work great almost perfect but the longer run of cable to the upper station gives me fits regularly. I adjust and adjust and if I can get it into forward it often times will not go into reverse and visa versa. These are single function control Morse units one set for throttle and one set for shift and of course these are sterndrives. They are the factory original controls and they are in solid condition. The cables are new and the connections at both ends are tight. Its like I am short throw on the lever. I had considered trying to fasten the cable at a number of locations along its path in hopes to stabilize it and take away some of the cable case movement but figured I'd toss it out here first for the brain trust to consider. Is there a bell crank of sorts that would reduce my length of throw needed? Also I have throttle friction on both sets reduced to zero in an attempt to ease function. Thoughts?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Preston Burrows

Re: Help with upper station shift control

Post by Preston Burrows »

What's happening at the engine gear and throttle end of things?

How do the two sets of connections look in comparison there, especially with respect to 'throw' distances?
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not knowing exactly which morse controls you have but some do indeed have throw stops.
Look under either under a top label if a solid body or remove cover on the skeleton body. If the stops are missing and you have worked with the body slide stop and end adjustments look to how the cables are run. Sometimes on longer cables if the cable body is not fastened sometimes the cable especially if curving will flex enough to foul up adjusting.

Which drives do you have, Merc Alpha with the cutout switch?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Preston I hadn't considered the fact that these controls may have different length throws. When I disassembled and cleaned then before the rebuild I may have mixed them up. These are two handle controls one set for the throttles and one set for the shift at each station. I may have placed the control labels on the wrong control when I reassembled them. Thanks for the thought.

Bruce I will look again at the stops and make sure all is tight at the ends.
http://images.jamestowndistributors.com ... 4819-1.jpg
This is what I have except both act as throttle or shift not one side throttle and the other side shift.
Yes Alpha with cut outs.
Thanks Bruce

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

As Bruce said, the stops are under the tag on those (at least on my original 1966 versions).
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

MarkS,
The cables are both different lengths, just that little difference can be the problem. always use the Supreme cables on long runs and down thru tower legs, the regular cables just don't cut it.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mark,
Are you having issues at all with stalling or just not going into gear?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Just not going into gear.