$10 million 90' yacht capsizes when launched

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

$10 million 90' yacht capsizes when launched

Post by IRGuy »

A new $10 million 90' Northern Marine Expedition Yacht capsizes when launched..

Watch the first link to see her before completion, and then the second, which shows a pic after capsize.

Before launching...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2-oDTZHvVM

Upon launching...
http://www.goskagit.com/news/local_news ... f887a.html

It seems to me that the marine architect would be liable for faulty design, as long as Pacific Marine can show she was built to the architect's plans..

I guess even the big boys screw up once in a while.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Navatech

Re: $10 million 90' yacht capsizes when launched

Post by Navatech »

IRGuy wrote:I guess even the big boys screw up once in a while.
They sure do... My guess is that the boat was too light... I'm pretty definite that they somehow screwed up the ballast calculations... On a similar topic, I dove this wreck a couple of years ago... Cyprus is well known for its clear waters... Definitely worth diving if you happen to be in the area... Definitely not worth a special trip unless it's less then 1 hour flying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Zenobia
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I guess that 75,000 pounds of missing fuel might have made a difference, though you would think that any ship shouldn't just roll over simply because it's empty…..
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:I guess that 75,000 pounds of missing fuel might have made a difference, though you would think that any ship shouldn't just roll over simply because it's empty…..
Being full of fuel might have offset the lack in proper ballast but if you need the fuel to keep from capsizing you can't use it... Plus, lead (or even pig iron) is a LOT cheaper...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

In general ballast systems for high freeboard, displacement hulls, water is taken on as fuel is used, keeping the center of gravity and trim constant... I'd bet dollars to donuts that the naval architect had this designed and built in and some bozo yard crew didn't follow design instructions before launching...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CaptPatrick wrote:In general ballast systems for high freeboard, displacement hulls, water is taken on as fuel is used, keeping the center of gravity and trim constant...
Yep... In ocean going commercial vessels the double bottom tanks serve as both ballast and as fuel tanks... Back in the day the ballast was just pumped back overboard before taking on fuel... Nowadays either the ballast water goes through a centrifugal separator (we talked about those on another thread) to get any fuel remnants out of the ballast water before it goes back to the sea or the tank is "washed" before the ballast is taken on... Sometimes even both...
CaptPatrick wrote:I'd bet dollars to donuts that the naval architect had this designed and built in and some bozo yard crew didn't follow design instructions before launching...
That's a sucker bet... I'm pretty certain something along those lines will be found as the culprit for this mishap... They'll basically have to rebuild this vessel as except for the hull nothing seems salvageable... They better have their insurance policy paid up and current...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You could see she was top heavy. Who are they kidding.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:You could see she was top heavy. Who are they kidding.
Not really... Have you ever seen how (relatively) little draft those huge cruise ships draw?!... Properly ballasted this yacht could very well be quite sea worthy...
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was under the impression Cruise Ships are also quite top heavy and not very sea-worthy. That being the reason they stay in relatively calmer waters leaving Ocean transport to the Ocean Liners.

Whatever the case...that is not what my 10 million dollar yacht would look like.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

They have a video of the launch.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEBJjsdTyWY

Didn't realize they had a back down ramp......that reminds me of all the fun and drama fixing to happen at the marina this weekend when everyone tries putting their boat in the water for the 1st time.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Looked like trying to float a wine bottle cork on end......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Is it just me or does the host of that video have serious issues?

Good grief, dude acts like his grandmother died.

Get over it. Somebody F'd up royally. We all do it. Don't act like showing the video will cause boaters around the world to go hang themselves.

Up your dosage of testosterone will ya.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bruce wrote:Is it just me or does the host of that video have serious issues?

Good grief, dude acts like his grandmother died.

Get over it. Somebody F'd up royally. We all do it. Don't act like showing the video will cause boaters around the world to go hang themselves.

Up your dosage of testosterone will ya.
Step 1: Get a real dog...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is the problem with this country. We have to GRIEVE over EVERYTHING. You don't grieve over a bad launch. You are upset and sorry, but GRIEVING??? I am with Bruce on this one.

Also, you are launching a new boat and it starts to tip in the cradle. Do you (A) keep letting out on the winch to see if it gets better, or (B) stop everything and investigate WTF is going wrong???
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

A lapdog for the company, with a lapdog in his lap........

He looks more like a cat person to me.....
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Does anyone else think it's odd that at the end of the video they have the gumption to show all the Northern Marine yachts for sale? I think thats a bad idea marketing-wise. It just reinforces in your mind..."DON'T BUY ONE OF THESE!". They should stay below the radar a bit to recover from this I would think, even it it was the fault of the crew not opening up the water ballast. "Get a real dog"...that's funny!! What's with the setting and mood for that narrator? Looks like he should be selling Massengill Douche.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Steve:

In the spirit of getting on with life, and to show their boats can indeed float upright, yes 'they' should show their boats at the end of the video as they did!
If the fleet was all steaming at a 30o list that would have been a bad idea.....

Seems like this video was done by someone outside of the company but with close ties to the builder, it's not an official Northern Marine video as such.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Taking bets on who the first employee that was trapped and rescued hires a lawyer and sues for PTSD disability.
David Robertson

Post by David Robertson »

Sounds like the equivalent of forgetting the drain plug at the boat ramp. Then rushing to reach over the transom and get that plug in before bad things happen.

I'll admit it, been there, done that.

Fortunately, in the kind of boats I find myself skippering, there aren't any "flip upside down" or "don't flip upside down" buttons anyone can accidentally push/forget to push. Forgetting the plug is about the worst thing I could do, and I'd like to think once was enough for me to learn that lesson.

Good thing no one was hurt. Hell, it probably didn't do much more than force the owner's assistant to come up with some alternative choices for his weekend...

On the bright side, he can put off filling that fuel tank! My new tank will cost somewhere approaching $600 dollars to fill from empty, which no longer seems so terrible considering that for the cost of filling his tank, you could buy what I would consider something worthy of being called a "yacht".
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

LMAO!!! I too sat there with the 'who farted' look on my face wondering how big of a man-gina you would have to have to shoot a segment with your chick dog on your lap while lamenting about not showing the video. Scratch Northern Marine off my list of potential lottery boat builders...

The sinking of the Baden...brought to you by the good people at Vagisil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... bhtS-WhMcI
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The yacht, named Baden, was made by New World Yacht Builders under the Northern Marine brand. The company issued a statement that it has "complete confidence" in its designs, but still laid off its 52-person staff and suspended production. The cause of the accident is still under investigation, but the company said the problem was tied to the launch apparatus and not the actual yacht.

"The physical evidence on, and adjacent to, the launch ramp suggests that the dolly carrying the weight of the port stern of the yacht may have suddenly dropped off the edge of the boat ramp during the launch, causing the vessel to experience a sudden list to port, from which it could not recover in its light condition for launch," Northern Marine said in a statement.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/10-milli ... z342iHbRq6
Anybody else get the feeling someone forgot to mail the insurance premium in? You have an accident at a company, you don't fire everyone and stop. You go on, call the insurance company and start on the next one or fixing up the sunk one.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The comments in the YouTube are more entertaining than the video!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Did they say two dollies under that thing? For those that didn't see where I posted this before
check this out. I don't know how many dollies were used for this monster but these guys know how to do it.
They never dumped one at Palmer Johnson yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uwjEtUNiZk
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

This wouldn't happen to be the same boat…….

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... -roll.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nope, don't think so, but is the same manufacturer.... Interesting that it's only a month apart between the two incidents. Jethro Gibs doesn't believe in coincedences...

Here's another interesting news video that I had't seen before:

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Hasn't been a good summer for West Coast boatyards/builders this year. This incident happened in San Diego at Marine Group Boat Works in Chula Vista when welders sparked the fire. The builder was Citadel Superyacht. The American Marine yacht that capsized was in Anacortes, Washington.

http://www.businessinsider.com/drone-ya ... ego-2014-6

Here's the charter info on the yacht. Look at the dollies and the wheels in the photo here and then look at the picture of the yacht that capsized and how much more compressed those wheels were.

http://www.charterworld.com/index.html? ... -bear-8046
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

In John's picture they are using 6 dollies as opposed to maybe three (I could tell how many were under the stern of the capsized yacht - only one under the bow) for the failed launch. Big difference.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31