Calling Capt Harv.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Doug Crowther

Calling Capt Harv.

Post by Doug Crowther »

Harv,
No sign of those two Schimano spinning rods from your boy at the boat show.
He was going to ship Monday. Ny-Md is a 1 day zone, 2 if theres weather.
Whats up with that ? Hoping I don't have to find my receipt-bought a lot of stuff that day....
Can you ask him whats happening ?
Doug
Harv

Post by Harv »

I'll give a call or stop by during the weekend. Been doing 14 hour days all week, with the exception of Tuesday. If you get them before then let me know.
Harv
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Thanks Capt !
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Capt. Harv, any news on the motor front? Those Nanni's look tempting but only if there's service for them.

Good Luck,
John
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Get Harv to share my critique on them.

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

Doug,

Don't know if you checked your voicemail yet. Spoke to Robbie this morning and he was swamped from unpacking from the show and when he checked the inventory, although the computer said he had 2 in stock, in essence he only had one. Should be getting resupplied after the weekend and he will send out both rods at the same time.

John,

Here is UV's critique. Mind you we spent a while discussing the motors on the phone and then I emailed him the page from the website that has a picture and desctription of the motors. First the website link
http://www.nannidiesel.com/english/6420MAIN.htm
now the critique

Harv - enjoyed talking to you about this. The pix only shows the port side of the engine, but I see a few obvious issues: (1) the raw water pump is too low and way up forward, you'd never get at it to change an impeller in a B31 install; (2) The raw water filter up on the top front is the same as Vulva used to use (I had them in 1984 in the repower of the B25) and they are plastic and crack from the heat and vibration, real quick. I had to replumb my engines to eliminate them. Sure, them will keep blown impeller parts out of the cooling system, but at the cost of constant problems with the plastic strainer pot and its screw on top - yep, it screws on like the top of a mason jar: (3) you would have to pull the engine to get at the injector pump; (4) note the oil filter at a 45 degree angle DOWN. Changing it will lubricate the entire bilge.....also the gear cooler is in a bad place to get at - would be on the outboard side of the port engine.... Since I can't see the other side of the engine, no comment of the heat exchanger, turbo plumbing,etc.

In a nutshell, it looks to me like a half assed marine-ized something engine. Now the obvious - the service, the parts, etc.........who gonna warranty it?, etc.

I just don't like the looks of it, simple stuff, guess the asinine 45 degree DOWN oil filter could be remote mounted with a vertical one, but they shoulda thought of that.

20 grand is a lot of money for a half-ass looking newbe vs. a little mo' for stuff we know about.

My humble views, my fren'

UV

Anyway, still about a year off from making the switch, anything is possible on what can happen. Later this spring I will take a trip to Jersey and check out the 31 conversion he was telling us about at the show. I will try to get in touch with the tech/rep at the same time and go over UV's concerns while I am there.
Harv
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Harv, Thanks for sharing UV's comments, very intersting. Sounds like you've got a good handle on this monster. Take your time and the right solution will show itself.

br,
JohnD
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Harv,
Got your message thanks for the follow up.

John F and I got together for a beer last week and I told him about your Nanni thoughts and he let me know that the Yanmar guys at the show were selling the 320's with gears for the same 20k ea side. No brainer in my book put the popular engine in. No name engines kill resale value.

Shark Tourney is June 7-10. Fishing days are 8th,9th. Put it on your calendar.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yes Doug, I agree.....Nanni's or Yanny's ....same price ....is a no brainer!
Harv
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Harv...

Can you shoot me an email pls.. I might have some good info for you about new/reman engines.

Frank

IRGuy@aol.com
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I spent some quality time in the nanni booth with a guy who knows diesels. First he was impressed with the overall design. Same block as yanmar only nanni uses stock toyo pistons. No it is not named yanmar; but then again who even heard of yanmar 10 years ago. The aftercooler core can be removed with four bolts. Nothing is in the way. Unless I missed something styer requires a lot of work to get to the core; and so does yanmar. Now water pump would be a piece of cake on my 35B. Oil filter may drain out? The engine olny required one zinc on the raw water elbow. I have seem yannies that need 7. Stay tuned nanni may amount to something. Plus they have a 400HP in the works that will fit in my 35B real nice.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Harv,
The rods finaly appeared today- a month later but they are awesome. Gimbled Schimano spinning rods- put reels on them and am dying to go fishing for blues, bass and dolphin with my new toys.
Doug
Harv

Post by Harv »

Doug,

More than likely the same rods I will be getting a pair of also.
Harv