Cummins Model 6BT 5.9M 210HP

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1962 31

Cummins Model 6BT 5.9M 210HP

Post by 1962 31 »

looking to buying a pair of these running in a boat its a 1989 innovator 31 took on some water over the winter motors didn't go under what do you think a good offer is figure I could go through the motors and have lots of usable items trans shafts props ??
JohnV8r

Re: Cummins Model 6BT 5.9M 210HP

Post by JohnV8r »

For what it's worth, a 6BTA 5.9 210 hp reman engine sells for $14,390 from Cummins (additional core fee of $3537 applies if you do not have a diesel core to exchange). You would have to figure what to reduce for age, engine hours, condition, and the risk of buying a used engine. That's probably more of a personal threshold than anything.

If it were me, I would probably think $6500 - $7500 was a reasonable starting place based on what the market appears to be on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cummins-marine
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Just curious, what are the plans for the Innovator? I think my friend had looked at it last year--very tired boat.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

There were only two innovators brought into NJ. One was ack hulled with a tower Nd one was white with a half tower.

Both of those boats got the balls run out of them back in the day

It would be great if you could check for blow by my guess is they have allot of time on them
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

Image this is it still have too really look at it supposed to only have 1900 hrs I think its the old Russian roulette
algillen

Post by algillen »

That boat looks like one a friend of mine used to own... I am pretty sure his was originally Greg Venturo's boat, and if memory serves me, my buddy's boat was black one before he repainted it light blue. Assuming this is the same boat, looks like it was repainted again. The give-away for me is the raft mounted on the front side of the bridge. Back when my buddy owned the boat, the engines were in great shape and ran well, and were cared for. Near as I can remember, it changed hands about 5-7 years ago, and since then I have no clue. The older B210s smoke a fair amount at idle, and that was normal.

As an aside, I remember all the hype about Innovator, designed to back down hard, etc., etc,. I have to tell you, that boat was something you would only take to the canyon one time. Extremely hard ride in a head sea, and top heavy with that full tower, and station wagoned the crew with fumes till everyone got seasick.

BTW, if it's the same boat, there was a 4 cyl genset in the engine room.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tom

You are looking at a 20knot cruise and very stingy on fuel. I think those are what Walter had in Blue Beard.

I can tell you the 270 remans I put in have just about doubled in price according the dealer I use. He said they were so popular that Cummins jumped the price on them, while the 315 remas are about half the price. I would say be prepared to rebuild them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Tony Meola wrote:Tom

You are looking at a 20knot cruise and very stingy on fuel. I think those are what Walter had in Blue Beard.

I can tell you the 270 remans I put in have just about doubled in price according the dealer I use. He said they were so popular that Cummins jumped the price on them, while the 315 remas are about half the price. I would say be prepared to rebuild them.
Tony most of us will never see the day you rebuild a set of 315 .i have mind 8 years and just had them tested with some extremely fancy equipment and they are at 95% so the cummins formula is at work .using cummins vovoline hd blue oil they will go about 32 000 to 35,000 gallons push thru them before rebuilding i will be about 102 years old!! I sure hope i get to rebuild these 315 hp cummins.every year it cost 3x $3.35. For zincs and 6.85 for spin on fuel filter.plus oil. I have put nothing into these engines except a can off white spay paint ($5.00) in eight years.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Actually I was referring to those 210's. Tom has no idea how hard they have been pushed or cared for.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Ok tony we are on the same page! Have a great weekend
capt.bob lico
bero13010473