Old gal in the ice.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Old gal in the ice.

Post by MarkS »

Went up to Door County yesterday on business. For those of you not familiar with Wisconsin Door County if you look at the back of your left hand, would be your thumb as the shape of the state goes. As I went past the marina, which of course is a must anytime one gets near the big pond, I came across this lonely gal sitting by herself amongst the ice bergs. I did a double take as there aren't as many of us up here as one would appreciate but there she was and looking in pretty fair shape ready for the season. (if it ever starts) This was in the little community of Fish Creek about 2/3 of the way up the peninsula on Green Bay. Still looking pretty wintry up there! Note the the floating frozen debris.

72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rocket

Re: Old gal in the ice.

Post by Rocket »

Wow, that is a time-piece. I love that it is in the water already
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I found interesting the molded in vents on the fore deck as well as the width of the hatch. Seems larger than mine?

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Michael

Post by Michael »

Mark,
Mine has the molded in vents on the bow as well. this one, like mine is one of the early ones that still had the curved windshield. Mine is a 62.
If yours is newer and /or has the squared off windshield, perhaps they did away with the molding for the vents.
Hatch looks the same as mine to.
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Surprised to see a pleasure boat in the water up this way this time of year. If you go a little farther north, you will see huge ice shoves
aground off Plum Island and on the west side of Washington Island, Some are stacked up more than 20' high.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Those Great Lakes boats are like time capsules......sweet!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Chanse where are you located?

Chanse

Post by Chanse »

I live on Washington Island.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Made it to Northport but never made it out to the island. That must be interesting living in the winter. Do you have a Bertram over there? I hear the Northern Pike fishing can be excellent around the bays in the spring. Do you recognize the name of the island home port on her stern?

Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Most Northern's are caught thru ice, too many! Ice out in the bays good but not as good in later years as water levels are down.
Major dredging project in Detroit harbor has really screwed up the fishing there. I guess the Feds have lots of extra monies to
spend on things no one needs or wants. That 25 is nice, think its origin was Sturgeon Bay originally owned by a Dr, whom loved
salmon fishing or it may of came from a guy who lived here some years back and had a sister 25 in Naples. Not many Berts in
all of the Door, "Yea know there ain't notin' better an a Lund". As a guy in a Lund told me when he pointed out that my B26
has a FLAT BOTTOM. WTF!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

You betcha der hey lundie. :) Did you tell him to go flour his nuts?

Which model B26?

Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Chanse, if you can't beat em fair n square make up a sh*t load of lies..Lund or 25 Bert ? Hmm line up a 25+ knot breeze and turn em both loose..love those old 25s one in the same marina where Dad keeps Westwater, timeless and bulletproof..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Naw, They enjoy what they have. I also have a aluminum outboard they have there use up here. I guess I was just pointing out there are
very few Berts up this way anymore. I had a bayliner guy boasting about his boat and he asked me what I had. I told him a
Bertram 26. He said he never heard of that. I just said I didn't think you would have. To each his own. I know full well what my boat
does and how she acts. At times I've returned home in nasty stuff that the 100' car ferry cancelled there trip due to
heavy weather.
Personally I see no similarity between a 25' and a 26'. To me they share nothing and are totally different boats. A 26' really is more
of a scaled down 28' than a upsized 25'.
Ice finally disappeared. Sunny and almost 70 today, time to kick the dust off her and get to work.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

When I was a kid living in Iowa, we used to head up to door county every summer. Loved it. Lots of boats, beaches, and my own personal "Wonder Years" with summer romance. Perch fish fries on Friday nights and alewives everywhere in the morning. Those were good times...
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

The trip in May was the measure and last week we went to do the install so I just had to zip over to the marina to see the old gal and how she was faring. She has a buddy!

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Museum quality; gotta love those northern and Midwestern lake Bertram's!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Now that is sweet. Would be nice if they could have kids.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Wish mine looked so clean!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]