Merc 350 O/B

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Merc 350 O/B

Post by Yannis »

This is my dad's first outboard, a 67 model. Later, me and the boys picked her up for our first 3.80/4.00 m inflatables in the late 70's, that's how we learned to ski. After her last summer she was not even rinsed, she now hangs out on my veranda. Do you guys think she's salvageable and if yes, how much dough could be required?

Thanks, Yannis.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Re: Merc 350 O/B

Post by Navatech »

Does the engine turn or is it frozen?!... Do you have, or can you get compression numbers?!...

Basically that engine is rebuildable... The question is whether it makes sense money wise...
Michael

Post by Michael »

To expand on what Navtech said. Try everything that should move and see what does and what doesn't. throttle, tilt, swivel bracket, thumbscrews etc. Check oil in lower unit. It most or all things move, then probably a carb clean, clean points, new impeller, fresh gear oil and a lube of all moving parts will get it going again.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Nav and Michael.
Well, I don't know what the term "turns" means in this case. When you pull the cord it turns, but I remember that when it was brought back from the last operation there was a small hole in the leg assembly that was leaking oil, somewhere between 10 and 20 cm above the prop, a whole which I cannot find today. That whole was probably a result of galvanic corrosion and I assume that as oil was coming out, water was going in too. I,m sure also that there is some sand in the carb, if not further in the cylinders as we played mechanics during a windy day on the beach. To make the long story short, this engine has to be disassembled completely (very completely!) and serviced accordingly. The question is if, first, there exist spare parts and, second, if its worth it, given the amount of working hours that will be necessary.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Yannis you would only want to do it because you love it or it has sentimental value, otherwise, it's a boat anchor.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis,

Turns in this case means that you can turn the engine... That means that the engine hasn't seized... And as you say, you can turn it so you're good on that point... As for the hole, aluminum holes can be filled by welding...

However, as MarkS states, rebuilding this engine would be mostly for sentimental value... Parts can be bought or refurbished... The question is really why would you want to go down this road... What is the cost of a comparable new or good condition used engine in Greece?... What will you use it for?...
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Yannis:

Here's a link to the place I get Mercury outboard parts from:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDo ... _nbr=34164

You can view what available parts for your engine there are by scrolling through the parts pages.

There's numerous websites devoted to old Mercury outboards that are helpful, here's one:

http://store.oldmercs.com/default.asp

You've kept the engine this long so obviously its valuable to you...........were it me I'd treat it as a project and tinker with it with a view to seeing if I could get it running and fixed up.

Build a wood stand for it and keep it dry and somewhere easy to work at/around if you can...........if for nothing else than self satisfaction and the sake of learning.....2 stroke outboards are pretty much still the same and 4 strokes not really that far removed..............

If you post up the engines exact model number and serial number no doubt a few folks here would chime in with more suggestions as to parts / procedures etc.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Gentlemen, you convinced me.

I will starbright wash her and put her on wooden pedestal; lit;
Any of who might see her will appreciate her.

Thank you MarkS, Nav and Preston for your advice.