Italian Style - B31 Tennessee Downunder!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Italian Style - B31 Tennessee Downunder!

Post by nic »

Hi Faithful,

Harry Babb was kind enough to remember me and emailed me just as I was on my way down to Tennessee to help out a yacht Captain mate of mine, Jimmy.

Harry is coming to Australia and we look forward to welcoming him on board the mighty Tennessee.

Anyhoo, back to the story: Jimmy, the yacht Captain, has some pretty high end clients and some unusual requests. Case in point was yesterday. A design firm from Italy needed a classy classic to showcase their chair on Sydney Harbour. Not just any old chair, this is one of their original designs from the 1960s. Capt Jimmy knows his boats so for him it was an easy decision. The Italians loved Jimmy's choice and settled right in, all five of them, setting up the shoot.

We ended up in front of the Sydney Opera House about twenty minutes after this picture was taken and the cameras whirred capturing Yours Truly using their classic chair as a fighting chair on the back of Tennessee. You'll have to wait for that picture to be published. Apparently they are all travelling the world photographing this chair in front of iconic backdrops around the world as part of a promotional campaign.

Harry suggested I share this story with you all, and I agree, because 54 years later the Bertram 31 is still renowned worldwide as a style icon, and our new friends from Italy could not believe it when we hit 32 knots w.o.t. as we cut down Sydney Harbour.

All the best,
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Italian Style - B31 Tennessee Downunder!

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,

Good to hear form you! Been a while... Don't be a stranger, just because you don't own the boat any longer is no excuse.

Sorry but your image didn't come through. Looks like you tried to send it thorugh you gmail account. Won't work like that.

Email me the image and see that's posted.

Best regards,

Patrick
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Capt Patrick,

The three original partners with me in Tennessee still own her and they are great custodians, she is a wonderful example and turns heads whenever she is on the water.

I have gone over to the dark side and am slowly restoring a classic 30ft Halvorsen fibreglass sloop designed in 1968 and built in 1973. She is a good, strong, sea-kindly boat and I am enjoying a bit of coastal sailing. It is amazing how fast 7 knots can be!

I'll post the pic of me fishing Italian-style when they deliver.

All the best,
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,

Is Tennessee still the only B31 in the Sydney area, how many B31s total on that little island that you blokes call Downunder?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
nic

Post by nic »

Capt Patrick,

There is Tennessee, then a converted flybridge race boat/now a sportfish called Mischief, an Express and there is about to be another Sportfish with some Aussies due in the US shortly to acquire one and bring her back down here: that will make four that I know of, which is really not enough and, frankly, a national disgrace.

What is confusing is there is an Australian boatbuilder called Caribbean which used to build Bertrams under licence, they had molds for the 20, 25, 28, 35 and 42. They now market them, and some of their own designs, as Caribbeans thru a dealer network: http://www.caribbeanboats.com.au/ . The promotional picture here of the Bertram 25 is "Little Ten", which was owned by Bob Dyer, (that's him at the helm), he was the first owner of Tennessee and a famous fisherman here.

Bertrams are very popular in Australia.

All the best,
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,

Tyler T, our newest member is in Darwin and owns one of Caribbean 28s. Maybe he'll catch this post and feel more at home...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
nic

Post by nic »

I like the 28, I'll keep an eye out for him posting.

Have you guys covered the B31 SWAB (Shallow Water Attack Boat)? http://www.warboats.org/Flops/Fabulous% ... ing_R1.htm

Apparently there are some still in Egypt.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Have we found Nirvana?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Mark:

Not quite Nirvana, those 'SWAB's were gas not diesel powered!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Pretty dam close though Preston! Belt fed guns and Bertram's! I need a cold shower.......
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

MarkS wrote:Pretty dam close though Preston! Belt fed guns and Bertram's! I need a cold shower.......
The Israeli navy used to have a few... Twin 50's in the bow (think a round hatch opening with the gunner standing on the bunks) and 2 MAG's (equivalent to M-60) on the rear corners of the top (gunners standing on the engine covers)... For the Israeli's Bertram came up with a fire proof (retarding?) resin...

I'm taking the risk that you'll need an ice bath...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Preston Burrows wrote:Mark:

Not quite Nirvana, those 'SWAB's were gas not diesel powered!

True...but with those guns mounted, who's gonna tell you you "have" to pay for the fuel???