Fiberglass Shaft Log Supplier

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Fiberglass Shaft Log Supplier

Post by Vince Luciani »

Can anyone provide me with a source to purchase fiberglass shaft logs. I read the link from Capt Patrick regarding the installation and called Lewis Marine (Ft Lauderdale). They don't sell to the general public.

Also, when discussing sizes with him, he indicated that the O.D. on the 2" I.D. diameter tube is 2 5/8". THis will not fit in the 2.5" I.D. tube that is sold. The fellow I spoke with indicated that the tubes do not need to be doubled up like Capt Patrick shows, but personally, I trust Capt Patrick a whole lot more and feel more comfortable doubling them.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic. WHere can I get what I need? I plan to install 1.5 " dia shafts, so I though I need 2" I.D. shaft logs.

Thanks for the help.

Vince Luciani
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vince
I personally like Bluewater Ship Stores, partly because they have a well stocked store about 20 miles from my boat. They stock the fiber glass tube and will cut exactly the length that you need. They are also available via the internet.

I agree that the tube needs to be double thickness because of its application as well as the consequences of a failure.

As far as fitting the tubes together.............in a perfect world all you have to do is use a belt sander and simply sand 1/16" off of the surface of the 2" OD pipe (1/16" surface equals 1/8" total diameter reduction) then it will fit inside of the 2-1/2" ID tube. Try to keep it smooth and uniform but keep in mind that the epoxy used to fasten the two tubes to together will take up imperfections between the two tubes. Its been a while since I read Capt Pats aritcle but I would probably use Epoxy and Hi density filler to put the two tubes together.

You are dealing with a very very important detail of the boat..........what ever you do DO NOT cut a corner here.

Harry Babb
hb