Annapolis area fishermen?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ken M.

Annapolis area fishermen?

Post by Ken M. »

I spent my life fishing on my Dad's 31. Went with him to buy it new in 1976. The last 30 years or so, I fished with my Dad out of Montauk. Mostly striped bass and fluke, but occasionally tuna. Now the boat is mine and I moved it to Annapolis last summer. I've tried to raise some Rockfish with my kids, with little success. It turns out that Montauk experience does not transfer to the Chesapeake Bay results.

I need some friendly advice and maybe even a fishing partner. I could use some guidance on everything from appropriate gear to bait/lure suggestions and techniques. I have a lot of gear, but is t the right stuff? Who better to ask than followers of the best fishing boat in the world? I'd love to start a dialogue.

Thanks,

Ken
John F.

Re: Annapolis area fishermen?

Post by John F. »

I live on Kent Island (grew up in Northport), Crae (I think he goes by Mack here) lives by Annapolis, and John D. lives up by Baltimore. Chris (Captain41) just got a B31 and lives somewhere around Annapolis. If you just moved here, last spring was pretty good trolling, the summer was great for light tackle until some time in August, and the fall just sucked. If you fished the fall and didn't do well, you weren't alone. Happy to talk, and when the season starts, fish.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ken M.

Post by Ken M. »

John, thanks for the quick reply. So happy to hear from you. Working on several projects this winter to make the boat a little more inhabitable, but I'm hoping to splash before April. I'll definitely be in touch. Wishing you a speedy winter.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ken
have you tried live lining bunker when they show up.
or if you get bunker pods down there start working them
1968 hull # 316 - 757
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Ken,
A typical Spring bay trolling spread will start with umbrella rigs in white or green off the boat holders weighted 8,10,12,16 ozs or 10,12,16,20 ozs sent out 200-75 ft respectively. I do 200, 150 , 125-100, 75 ft. Planer boards are used by almost every charter boat out there. I use tandam 9" shads weighted with additional 4-8 oz depending on the lure weight. Out 75- 150 ft at random. If you have the rod holders put 4 or more lines out on each planer board.
As for finding fish and knowing what to look for. Its not a bad Idea to find the charter boats and work the same area. Bay fish are typical in that they will feed in one spot and not in another and always in a strong tide.
In summer change up to cut bait, or troll smaller stuff, mid to late summer you can live line spot off north end of poplar island. Fall back to trolling 6-9" baits with or with out planer boards. North of the bridge along kent island up to love point can be productive.
A good friend always says " never leave fish to find fish". made that mistake many times, i think I finally learned that one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ken,
When Matt says green think he means chartreuse. Works down here on the Maryland/Virginia border and South. Talk to the local charter captains, but think Matt gave you all the poop you need. We had some success chumming last fall when others were trolling unsuccessfully. You have to know where, of course. Local knowledge.
Got to open that season quick! My freezer's empty.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Sorry for the late reply. Lived in Annapolis and then the Eastern Shore on the Wye river. There are many places we used to catch Blues and Rockfish. Love Point was a good spot. Many times there were breaking fish that we cast small drones and bucktails. When trolling there, #1 planer and #1 drones worked. Late in the year we would troll the area around the Bridge using Penn 49 reels spooled with wire in order to bounce the bottom looking for big Stripers. There is a deep hole off the southern tip of Kent island near the Bloody Point lighthouse that would yield good fishing. Troll the drop off off Kent Island. My biggest Rock was 35# caught just off Kentmorr. In the summer, wait just outside Knapps Narrows early in the AM and wait for the charter boats to come out. they will lead you to the fish. They usually didn't mind a private boat as long as you don't crowd them. My best day ever was following them south of the Choptank, and they had a spot with a drop off they trolled in a circle. Each time over the drop off you'd get a strike. We were catching Stripers deep with 16oz sinkers and surgical els and #19 Tonys. Blues were hitting 8 oz sinkers with Tonys and Bucktails. Sometimes we had both hit on the same pass. Those charter guys knew their stuff. Hope this was a little help. Lived on the Bay for around 25 years. It's a great fishing and cruising area. I miss it.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Ken-
Glad to talk Annapolis area fishing, Bertrams, or days without snow anytime. Lots of good spots to fish not far from the mouth of the Severn River so no need to burn tens of gallons of $4 gas! I keep my 31 in Lake Ogleton and often duck out for a brief wetting of lines. I troll a few times in the spring and late fall but mostly focus on light tackle. Perhaps we can get a few local folks from this forum to get together for a cold one as things start to thaw. Two good sources of info include the tidal fish website (click on "original chesapeake board") and The Maryland Saltwater Sportfishing Assoc (MSSA). The MSSA Annapolis chapter has monthly meetings open to the public and often has charter captains discussing local techniques and lures.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Lets get'um wet boys. 4 days left