Starboard question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

Starboard question

Post by Greg A. »

I have a question for you guys about starboard. I want to replace the black gauge panel on my 19 mako. Was thinking of going with black 1/4" starboard. I am concerned with direct sunlight warping the starboard. It will be the stock size, 12"x8", will have 4 gauges and a blue seas 8 pole switch panel mounted to it. 1/4" ok, or should I go with 1/2", which mugh look a little "chunky". First choice is varnished teak, but I'm trying to stay away from maintenance. Thoughts?

Greg
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Starboard question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Greg,

Starboard would be a bad choice. Too much expansion/contraction for that application. Best material would be high pressure Formica/Pionite style laminate epoxied to a core. Core material could be plywood, Coosa Board, PVC Foam Board, (AZEK), etc...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a plexi panel with rounded over edges on a Scarab Sport that look nice and is easy to make. You can use smoked plexi or paint the back of plexi for different effects.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
alex n

Post by alex n »

I just registered to help you with this question and also because I love working on boat projects. I had to do the same job on my boat and what I used was a anodized piece of black aluminum from mc master carr, it will not corrode , it wont scratch and looks awesome. I backed the sheet with starboard as it is only .030 thick, use it you wont be dissapointed.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Alex,

A word of caution on black anodization... It fades relatively fast to a blotchy grey/black and will show underlying color.

I've seen black anodized outriggers fade in as little as 3 seasons, and my black security cameras went from black to gold in under a year...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
alex n

Post by alex n »

I refinished my helm in 2006 , the aluminum anodization is as good today as the day I installed it, it is under the hardtop and not in direct sunlight
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

alex n wrote:I refinished my helm in 2006 , the aluminum anodization is as good today as the day I installed it, it is under the hardtop and not in direct sunlight
The significant part is "it is under the hardtop and not in direct sunlight"...
alex n

Post by alex n »

Yes, of course