"dude got air"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

"dude got air"

Post by JimmyG »

To quote one of the dudes filming LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsCyRol4TA&sns=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whaler1777

Re: "dude got air"

Post by Whaler1777 »

'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

JimmyG &Whaler1777,
Time to take the engines out and put the rest into a dumpster. How long do the passengers have to go to the chiropractor.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete; Monday morning every two weeks! ----------- just enough to keep the pain to a bearable state.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob, JimmyG&Whaler177,
Years ago I was fishing a tournament out of Hillsbrough Inlet in my 31 Jupiter, wind blowing 20 out of the NE temp about 60 degrees, seas nasty 10 to 12 in the mouth of the inlet. Bimini start as usual for the SKA circuit back in the mid 90's. I am just slow idle going thru the inlet, nice and slow up and over the breakers, this idiot in a 29 Contender goes by me about 20 miles an hour, the next thing I see is passenger going up and to the stern in the air, he landed on the inner transom, captain going up in the air holding on to the steering wheel that was still attached to the console however the console was no longer attached to the deck he came up at least 3 feet or the length of the slack in the cables and wiring, then the entire boat stuffed a 10 footer with green water over the entire boat. I went by him at 3 to 4 miles an hour never took a drop of water into the boat, once outside it calmed down to 6 to 8 feet, caught a bunch of Kings be not enough to place, I found out later that the passenger broke both his leg and ankle and one arm, captain fractured 3 vertebrae in his back. The SKA tournament series turned into NASCAR on the water, the young guys were fishing triple 250's going out, by the time they got to where the fish were they were lucky to have two motors, most of the time they only had one left at the end of the days fishing. I got so bad that most of the engine manufacturers had support trailers full of lower units and power heads. In 3 years of that kind of fishing I only replaced one starter, and one alternator on the twin 225 hp Mariners. Just a little tidbit about speed and poor boat handling. After going to the Nationals three years in a row I finally gave it up, or should I say my knee gave up. Happy New Year to all and to all a good night.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

I had two occasions similar to that in our 25' Whaler as a kid.

First was back when you could drive right up to the submarines transiting New London to the open ocean. They don't like that now. but then, they were cool with it. They throw a HUGE wake, straight up and down. I had the whaler running wide open throttle, heading for the wave jump of the century, and backed off with just enough time to miss killing myself by launching who knows how high in the air... Whew!

Then again off Pt. Judith. I ended up getting caught just below a breaking wave, huge. So I am trying to out run the curl to get out of there, wide open throttle again, engine trimmed up, hauling, on a 25' surfboard, only to come around the tail into a sea of surfers... Crap. They scattered like waterbugs. Again, phew! Never again.

Good times!!!!

Dug