Paint advise

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Paint advise

Post by Harry Babb »

I am once again working on the interior of De Nada. I would appreciate advise from you guys that are the experts in the paint and glass department.

First of all I want to paint some of the bare wood inside of my cabin. What do you guys recommend that I use to seal the wood before applying the finished coat of paint??

On another post I read a lot about painting an interior with Imron and Alwgrip and how difficult it is to use. What is the advantage of these paints over other 2 part catalyzed urethane paints. In particular I like painting with BLP Mothane urethane paint. I have painted engines and other equipment with the Mothane and it is extremely easy to use.

Harry Babb
hb
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Harry,

My experiences have taught me that there is a return on the pains of working with the higher end Awlgrip and Imron paints.

There are many ways to get a surface to look just as good, but if you want that kind of luster along with durability nothing else comes close. I've painted everything from bilge to the bridge bench with Awlgrip. Nothing comes close to it's hardness and longevity

You will never regret the money or time spent, but be careful, ventilate well and use proper resperators.

just one man's opinion - of course

good luck
Mike Dolan
www.lightningshack.com
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I have had good luck sealing plywood with West System before priming with an Interlux epoxy primecoat and then painting with Interlux perfection. I did this on all bilge areas and in the v-berth for under the cushions. On my cockpit panels I covered the new plywood ones I made with fiberglass cloth and epoxy, then faired out, and awlgripped. They look great. On the finished visible part of the midship wooden bulkheads and the flybridge panel I put formica on, primed and Awgripped to match the rest of the paint job and that works well too. I just did all of the fiberglass on my whole boat with Awlgrip. I did some and I had a pro do some and while it is hard, it is worth the effort. Plan on some do-overs, and unless you are really good with the stuff just accept it as part of the program.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks John,
Generally painting is not my cup of tea but I am determined to give it a try even if I have to do several "Do Overs"
Tell me...........what type of spray gun do you use for spraying the Awlgrip. I have a 2001 Binks and a 3 gallon pressure pot. Mostly I spray small things and equipment and use BLP Mothane 2 part urethane.....The BLP is so easy even a caveman can do it. I think that the BLP gives a much heavier build up than Awlgrip or Imron. I would really like to get experienced painting..........I have a 69 Corvette and my son has a 69 Camaro that we both would like to paint someday.
Thanks for the info
Harry Babb
hb