Re: New cabin door.

Post by bob lico »

i through i would show you the finish job on the cabin door

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

view from inside cabin you can see the effect of building 1 3/8" thick door it allows you to have raised panel and window with ogee reveal on both sides . i used 4 full ss hinges instead of piano hinge so i could easily remove door to varnish. glass is 1/4" tempered limousine tint.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a FBC model of the 31 bertram has a design fault that is the head door and cabin door will collide and jam at handle this is my solution. i extended the wall of head and installed track above then 'epay' guide below . built raised panel door with mirror on interior for the women. door stay in open position for air circulation and return air to A/C mounted in bottom of vanity. effortless slide by way of Anderson sliding door rollers recess into bottom of door.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

head door in closed position
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looks great Bob, I'd love to see the small amount of aft bulkhead above engine boxes and around windows in varnished teak too....
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nicely done. That's a huge improvement. The sliding head door is trick
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wow - Beautiful!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
randall

Post by randall »

very nicely done!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Thanks to your judgement Randall I followup on the varnish teak ,mahogony and went against my son's insistence to paint outside white! --------- thank you
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete this winter I wll laminate the white area around the door bulkhead with a exotic wood called Accabie. The "decorator" says I must use a complimentary wood not teak or I will diminish the stand out effect of the door. This wood is similar to Holley in color but cross sawed like the mahogany I used in the cabin.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That is a beautiful job Bob! I love that design very innovative.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bob...

The door and surrounding casing looks beautiful. The wavy grain of the casing is something I haven't seen often.. It has it's own "character". There is a hardwood supplier near here who has some 18-20" wide by 3" thick by 20' long mahogany.. just sitting on a rack because he says nobody is using it for mantel pieces in new homes today. I would love to buy a plank but if I had some I would feel unworthy to take a tool to it and cut it.

I am not a religious or spiritual person but I do feel that some things created by nature should be left alone rather than be hacked up by someone like me. Your use of the wavy grain embellishes it's natural beauty and highlights your workmanship. I understand that boat manufacturers have to build things easily and simply out of synthetic materials to control costs and guarantee a consistant product, but the addition of some natural material crafted with care and finished to highlight what nature created takes a "clorox bottle" interior and makes it beautiful. It becomes an everlasting legacy.. something that survives long after the builder has passed on. I admit I get a certain degree of satisfaction in building something that I know will outlast me and serve a useful purpose long after I am gone. I suppose this is just my ego, but whenever I look at something built long ago I think of the craftsmen who built it who are long gone. I hope someone looking at my door stops for a second and appreciates the work I left behind after I have passed on.

In our home we have several pieces of furniture made by my wife's grandfather around 1895 or so.. mahogany planed smooth with only hand planes, and pieces dovetailed and cut and carved by hand.. still today being used for the purpose he intended. What a legacy!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Thank you brothers for the compliments .i was in a rush to get the door installed for Greenport, this winter I will rectify dark mahogany door jam on cabin door. All mahogany jams will be cross sawed grained and finally build cabinet under galley side windshield for microwave/coffee maker.project two will be to complete A/C system. The vents will be custom made to match interior wood.just want to reintegrate the sliding door on the head is a real space saver there are no downsides and more importantly air circulation in head without door being in way----------- black mold not smart!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Looks great.

When you say you extended the wall, so you moved it more towards the center line of the boat, but in your picture the distance between the bulk head door coming into the cabin looks the same as it is on mine. YOu could not have moved it by much.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I should say I extended the head wall about 3" to split the distance between edge of wall plus 1" for the sliding door handle would be the same dimension as the space to enter head, did not want to cause people to enter head sidewards luckily we have no "wide bodies" in family.head is same OEM depth what I did is equal door width to the dimension I needed to slide the door back .the wider the door the more room you need to hide it as it slides back out of the way.i used a SS/brass pin and receiver to anchor door when you slide it back.works perfect with minumim women effort they can close and lock door from inside.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thanks got it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Tony on the left side of the head door looking at it from the cabin side there is a 1 " return I remove that to add 1" to door width . i did all i could to make door as wide as possible ,door leading edge ( towards trasom ) actually stops against that little shelf above toilet and that's the widest you can possibly make the door.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Appreciate it. I love the idea. Now all I need is the time to do it. Lately I don't have the time to do anything.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315