Just picked up a 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Post by Carl »

When I go to boat shows...I leave with the feeling that unless I spend way more then my means...and I mean way more, I would not trade my 31 for any of them.

Provided you bought the boat at a fair market value...if for some reason you did not like the boat...you can get your money back.
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

well im getting dizzy about this billy joel thing.i have a friend who knows billy and i will have him ask if it was his boat.Chole/yellowbird was owned by pilot morrel ,before being purchased and brought to long island for the rebuild.I tried to contact his widow in sarsota but my letter came back.i wanted to get the history of YELLOWBIRD or even before that.will letyou know tom
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tom,

Try reaching Melissa Morrill,(Sonny's widow), at: mmorrill1@verizon.net
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

now we will get to the bottom of this, thanks tom
billyo

Post by billyo »

cwj wrote:now we will get to the bottom of this, thanks tom
thanks.. Not bad for a first thread !!!!!
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

thanks.. Not bad for a first thread
Nope not bad at all, 2 1/2 pages in 2 1/2 days with no major hijacking is a good string.

Keep this up and you'll earn your Senior status pretty quick...
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

thanks CAPT PAT,e mail sent to mmorrill and bj friend.lets see what shakes out t hart
billyo

Post by billyo »

A few guys asked what we did to ship it by truck.here is a pic.The boat has arrived in Florida (it made it) for a very reasonable price of $2500
Image[/url]

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I was in New London Ct on the 8th standing in the parking lot the ferry is coming in and spins towards us. I look inside and say holy crap there's a Bertram 31 in there! My brother next to me looks at me like how the hell do you know that I said see the bridge and roof line. Few minutes later Rock Star went past us. I was going to get a picture but the camera was buried in the luggage and I wasn't sure where. It sure would have been a cool picture to have taken.

Good Luck with her.

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats a round about way to florida, unless he wanted to avoid the bs of going thru the city
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was just thinking the same thing Charlie!
John F.

Post by John F. »

I called a couple of shippers, one which I had used before, when I had my B31 shipped from LI to MD. They wouldn't do it without a pretty big price premium because of the rules going over the bridges--a guy I'd used before told me he'd pick up a boat in FLA and bring it here cheaper. I wound up using All-Island. Great people, great price. They brought my B31 down, going over the NY bridges, on 9/11/2002. Sooo, I get the ferry thing...

Nice boat. I've stopped and looked at her a couple of times when I've been up there.
billyo

Post by billyo »

cwj wrote:thats a round about way to florida, unless he wanted to avoid the bs of going thru the city
It had to do with permitting and such that he claimed it was the best route to go. Either way he was half the price of others and got the boat to Florida in great shape. Now for the next leg of the journey from Fla to Costa Rica. I will let you know how that goes.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
randall

Post by randall »

john...."all island" launches an retrieves my boat. best i have ever used by far and half the price of the local guys. they wait till they have a few out here and do em all the same day...top notch!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

BillO .... where are you in FLA and what's your hull # ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
billyo

Post by billyo »

Bertramp wrote:BillO .... where are you in FLA and what's your hull # ?
Don't laugh.. I am in Massachusetts.Boat is in FLA waiting to be sent to CR. As for hull # 1092104 i believe. I have been a freshwater boat owner for 35 years and this is my first salt venture/dream/nitemare)

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
tjhartsr

Post by tjhartsr »

hey there goes my tower.it a nice design ,were sorry to see her go .we would have liked to see her the peconics .good luck...the owner wanted to part out the tower and some other stuff .i couldnt understand why, funds maybe
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Have to say....that price is amazing. Especially to go through CT and deal with the SS of the DOT world. I thought boat haulers charged $3-4 a mile at least. Per mile charge is figured using all of the assorted BS fees for waiting time, lifting, loading, whatever else, etc.
I guess I'll write off going into hauling boats and stick with cars.
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Billyo if you need help, let me know. we start our business in CR 5 yrs ago.

Did the same thing, shipped from NJ to Fla and over on Dockwise. Our crew usually runs the pilot boat(28 Bertram) for there ship when they come to Golfito. Bruce at Banana is usaully the check in point. I guess teh next ship is the end of Oct..

Good luck on your venture. Amazing fishing but the everything else will drive you crazy. Just relax and roll with it.. Everything works better that way there!

Greg

619 306 1970
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
billyo

Post by billyo »

Thums Up wrote:Billyo if you need help, let me know. we start our business in CR 5 yrs ago.

Did the same thing, shipped from NJ to Fla and over on Dockwise. Our crew usually runs the pilot boat(28 Bertram) for there ship when they come to Golfito. Bruce at Banana is usaully the check in point. I guess teh next ship is the end of Oct..

Good luck on your venture. Amazing fishing but the everything else will drive you crazy. Just relax and roll with it.. Everything works better that way there!

Greg

619 306 1970
Thanks Greg,,I will be calling you for sure. Thanks ,It looks like our boat will arrive in Golfito around Nov 12th

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
fishlook

side steps

Post by fishlook »

are the "step logos" to the flybridge seen on this boat avalible anywhere?
Jay Jones
billyo

Post by billyo »

tjhartsr wrote:the ex owner has some props 11/8 i think as well as some front window covers?fyi,i have his e mail if anyone needs ,tom
Tom ,we need his email.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
billyo

Post by billyo »

Down in CR right now boat got in on Tues nite unloaded wednesday and we have been tied up wth paper work but should be heading north tomorrow. Boat is all togrther and looks 10 times better than i dreamed .everything seems to work perfect and I am real happy with results thus far thanks guys again. I will forward some pics to a site members email and maybe they can post them for me as internet i a problem here.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
billyo

Post by billyo »

Here are pics of the boat in Costa Rica

http://www.newenglandfishing.net/index. ... 40425&st=0

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
billyo

Post by billyo »

Just to fill you guys in the boat finally got released from customs today and made the voyage from Golfito to Quepos with no problems. We ended up buying a new set of 18x19 props for $1500 . The boat would only do 20 knots at 2800rpm. that was know where near what it did at sea trial with the original props. capt eddy is going to have the props worked and see what we can do to make it better. The voyage has so far been rough but we are getting there.
Last edited by billyo on Dec 4th, '10, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Glad to hear it all worked out. Where did you pick up the props ?
All the best
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
billyo

Post by billyo »

Bertramp wrote:Glad to hear it all worked out. Where did you pick up the props ?
All the best
The capt that let our props get stolen picked up a set for us. I am not sure where he got them. The whole ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth. We will get it worked out one way or another. It just sux because we could have used that money elsewhere not to mention the time we will spend getting it back to the way it was.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104