Another Winters Project(s)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Re: Another Winters Project(s)

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

A lot of work and the wracking of nerves due to the need to be careful you don't destroy anything. Nice work .
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Jim Snipe was just a name I picked for the boat because I liked it. It has a lot of meanings. One is an engineer. There is a snipe fish and a snipe bird. You can send someone on a snipe hunt as well. I didn’t know this when I chose the name watching a kids cartoon about a snipe bird.
Jim my name is Jason I don’t know if you remember I brought you some hinges I had for your boat.
Hope all is well with you.
Jason
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Thx. Tony

Now I remember Jason, hinges worked perfectly and still have the others. I was a snipe, in the Merchant Marines for 30 years. Graduated from Maine Maritime Academy in 1977. Went to sea for 30 years, 20 as Chief Engineer Unlimited on the largest and fastest Commercial Steam Ship ever built. Down sized now am both Captain and C/E of a 30 footer, having a BLAST. Catching some tunas too...EarleyBird
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no more chisels on boat for these delicate task. the very best tool i could possibly used is the real deal Fein tool from Germany there are many knock offs available in the box stores but the Fein oscillating tool can do so much that no other tool can do.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

You are correct Bob, after taking 31 3/4” SS pan head screws from out under the P&S gunnels yesterday motor boxes forward, I finished all remaining chiseling, they’re back home. Next up when the shrink wrap comes off is my 7”variable speed grinder/sander with 36 grit. Practiced today for a short period. I liked it🤪 Prime cockpit side compartments next.EarleyBird
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that's the one mike and no others need apply!! Phoenix burned out Dremal brand and Dewalt, sometimes you just have to go with the best because second best is so far down the ladder.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Mahogany shims/supports and backing pieces renewed under gunnel and deck. All have been epoxied and tabbed in place with fiberglass to accept transom panel and corner trim. You wouldn’t want to have seen the old ones🤪 Waiting on my quart of Primer. EarleyBird

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Got my quart of primer. Fitted transom and side panels yesterday. Had to trim outboard deck vertical pieces, to accept aft corner trim pieces. All epoxy coated/transom primed. Next re-install Generator. EarleyBird

cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Looking good. What material are you planning to use for the panels?
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Panels are completed, go to top of page one. EarleyBird
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Generators home this morning....this afternoon. Pettit EZPoxy Blue Ice. EarleyBird

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Installed generator yesterday. Kinda tough getting that through a zippered shrink wrapped door, up an 8’ ladder in the rain. Motor and generator were not together. Thank goodness for youth on the ground. Hynautic steering actuator I installed today. Purge and bleed tomorrow. Connect generator systems then too. Have a great weekend all🤪 EarleyBird

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

There is something really attractive about that Bahama blue paint on the inside.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was thinking the same thing Pete. The white is soooo.....white. Stark and cold.

Projects are coming together nicely...hoping to get to mine tomorrow to start the removing and getting started aspect. Way behind I am.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Thanks fellas. Cummins white on the generator, and naturally the 270’s. Pettit Blue Ice throughout bilge, engine beds etc, from mid ships bulkhead to transom. EarleyBird ✌️
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Steering system fully operational. Purged at cylinder actuator by cracking flare fittings and socket-head cap screws, and loosening purge screws on relief valve. 5 3/4 turns on helm hard over to hard over. Connected rudders, all’s well. Reservoir needs topping off. Connected generator all electrically. Tested on/off Breaker with Fluke meter, fully functional. Fuel and exhaust need connecting, Racor needs to be filled. Rolled and tipped after facing bulkhead. Beautiful day under shrink wrap in a T-Shirt. 🤪EarleyBird
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Fill generator with oil and anti-freeze today. Had to order a fiberglass Centek 90 degree exhaust elbow today, did not like how the inlet side had a bit of delamination. #1200202. When that gets install, won’t take but an hour. Fill the Racor and she should be ready to fire when floated. Steering was a little sloppy, bleed again at helm station. Went for my lungs today a bought a quart of SeaStar fluid, $27. Just wasn’t crazy about topping off reservoir with Dextron ATF. 5 1/4 turns hard left to right. Adjusted linkages to tiller arms so rudders are ever so slightly toed in on the trailing (aft) edge. I’m happy, almost. Zipper broke on shrink wrap door. Someone telling me to remove shrink wrap and start grinding/sanding old glue off gunnels to make way for new covering boards. Wahoo....EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

I order the Fluid from Aviation Spruce. They sell the Mill Spec and it is dyed red so if it leaks you can find it. It is the same one that Sea Star recommends you use. $9 a quart. With shipping it comes to $16 a quart compared to Sea Star's $27. If you know someone that works at an airport, you can probably purchase it through them. I usually keep a couple of quarts on the shelf in the garage.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... 5606qt.php
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Appreciate your advice and input Tony. Most likely not the most economical choice I ever made on EarleyBird, just didn’t enjoy mixing fluids. I knew SeaStar was Hynautic compatible and the Auto Parts store that carried it was a 1/2 mile away. Reservoir now topped off, steering working great, no leaks, scratch that job off the list. Try to find an extra quart to carry onboard later via the internet. $15 dollars poorer. 😜EarleyBird
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Cabin door finished, both sides rolled and tipped. Love of my Life’s boat as of this morning ready to be floated too. When we don’t get Offshore the Fluke in the River and Bay take a beating in her 21 footer. 😜 EarleyBird

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JIm

What kind of paint did you use on the door? I assume you just went right over the old formica.

How do you like the Allied?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hey Tony...I used Pettit EZpoxy on the door. It is painted over Formica. All my side panels/doors, transom panel, aft bulkhead and door are Formica. Painted them white 4 years ago, though the paint really held up great I wanted a closer color match to the boats fiberglass. I mixed Hatteras Off White with semi-gloss white two to one and the match is close. Interior was gunstock walnut formica and again I painted Pettit white. If I have time that will be painted just with Hatteras Off White, no sun fade inside, or when she’s at the dock.
Really like the Allied, it is a no frills 21CC. We bought it brand new with trailer. This will be year 4 and has 470 hrs. Trailered it back and forth to Fla. we rent a home in Marathon on a canal, but stayed home this winter cause of Covid. Solid boat, great outboard, Furuno 1620, Icom radio, dual batteries, 70 gallons of fuel. 30kts at 5500 rpmz. Wiring not the best. Bimini Top. Kept in our backyard, on a set on whips. 😜EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Thanks for the paint mixture. Door looks good. Makes me tempted to try it and to do the whole bulkhead.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Tony, if you want to paint over Formica or wood, I would recommend sanding first with 150/180 quality paper. Apply a coat of Pettit Undercoater. Sand with 220. Wipe with Mineral Spirts then a tack rag. After it dries well, like I said two to one 3108 (2parts) 3106 (1) part. If it needs a second coat, I always do until you have a base, sand with 320 grit. Wipe and paint. I use a 4” smooth foam roller and a 1/2” artist brush for rolling and tipping,Good Luck. ✌️EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Thanks. Very helpful.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Got the wheels back, Bottom 75% lightly sanded. Lifting strakes do by hand. Shrink wrap off, get ready to remove ( grind and belt sand) remaining teak and glue on gunnels. New Furuno Radar and Tztouch3 12F in my possession. Old Radar and Chart Plotter wires have been removed. Old Radome off this week. Hopefully covering board patterns are close and get busy on new boards too. EarleyBird 🤪

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Removed the old (Mark V11) Radome today. Extension ladder from deck to hard top. Pulling Radar cable tomorrow, had to disconnect a pile of multi-color tiny wires from three pinned blocks, inside the Radome. The bolt pattern to secure the old Radome 4 (17mm) stainless bolts 1 1/2” is the same as the new DRS4D-NXT, that put a smile on my face. Have to remove starboard side cabin headliner, to pull old cable and run new. Stay tuned. EarleyBird
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

New DRS4D-NXT Radar is installed, sealed, and secure. Cable has been run down starboard side hard top leg. Connected to 12V Power grid. TZ touch3 12F has been fitted on port side bridge console. Making a 1/4” starboard pad for desk top mount to sit and through bolt. 12V cable run and also connected. My covering board wood working teak carpenter has measured again and has gunnel patterns, preliminary cut of boards to happen soon🙏. Bottom fully sanded, she’ll get painted with Sea Hawk CUKOTE 3442 this week. Wheels on, hull waxed shortly thereafter. I see a light....EarleyBird
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Jim your getting it done this year. Looking sharp I need to stop by and see you some day!!
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

EarleyBird wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 18:51 Fill generator with oil and anti-freeze today. Had to order a fiberglass Centek 90 degree exhaust elbow today, did not like how the inlet side had a bit of delamination. #1200202. When that gets install, won’t take but an hour. Fill the Racor and she should be ready to fire when floated. Steering was a little sloppy, bleed again at helm station. Went for my lungs today a bought a quart of SeaStar fluid, $27. Just wasn’t crazy about topping off reservoir with Dextron ATF. 5 1/4 turns hard left to right. Adjusted linkages to tiller arms so rudders are ever so slightly toed in on the trailing (aft) edge. I’m happy, almost. Zipper broke on shrink wrap door. Someone telling me to remove shrink wrap and start grinding/sanding old glue off gunnels to make way for new covering boards. Wahoo....EarleyBird
You can buy Aircraft Hydraulic fluid by the gallon. Its dyed red so easy to see if you have a leak. Its cheaper than Seastar.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I painted bottom yesterday, blue boot top today, Brightside Sapphire Blue. Fire Red boot stripe after the weather. List is getting smaller and the tuna are Northbound...WooHoo. EarleyBird

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Hey Jason, would look forward to chatting and sharing ideas. Please stop by anytime, if you need my ph# let me know. EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Looking good. Getting there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Keep the updates coming - they are good motivation! Boat looks great.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

1/4” Fire Red stripe above boot top sanded and painted using Fine Line incremental tape. $45/roll for 15 yards. Yup, needed two. Wheels on also...another step closer. Wanna read a true story I wrote, see Yannis thread about the Aegean....Lake. WooHoo! There goes an eyebrow. EarleyBird🤪

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

EarleyBird wrote: Apr 14th, '21, 19:21 I painted bottom yesterday, blue boot top today, Brightside Sapphire Blue. Fire Red boot stripe after the weather. List is getting smaller and the tuna are Northbound...WooHoo. EarleyBird

They may be northbound but my plan is to waylay them in the Bahamas this week. I will let a few pass through for you boys up North!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Rick, have fun in the Bahamas “trying” to waylay a tuna or two. They already know through genetics and ancestral lectures that though some will go missing, some will have tooth aches, there are only a couples Boyz in New Jersey waiting for them. There secretive knowledge and tactics will inevitably remove several from their species, and that is why we spend so much time, energy, and $$$$ on these beautiful machines called a Bertram! Let’s Get It On! EarleyBird 🤪
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

First light sanding of cockpit deck today. Have to get the thiokol seams down on same plane as teak boards. Been a couple years since deck was sanded. I’m whooped. New covering board installation starting Monday, gotta make the ol’Girl look good for those BFT when they come over the rail. WooHoo! EarleyBird 🤪

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Its hard not to love a teak deck unless you live in Florida or the Bahamas!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

TZTouch3 12F installed today. Radar and MFD Installed, scratch that off the List.😜 EarleyBird

EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Port and Starboard boards fitted, epoxied, and clamped today. Transom piece up next🤪 EarleyBird

MarkD

Post by MarkD »

EarlyBird:

Did you use 80 grit on the cockpit deck?

Thanks,
Mark
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I used 60grit with the Festool radial/orbital vacuum sander. Seams were a tad higher than the teak boards. After we finish with the covering boards, I’ll end with 120. Should finish fine. EarleyBird
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Man those gunnels are pretty!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yes that are! Almost makes me want teak gunnels but then I'd have to hire a boat girl to keep them sanded and oiled.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Thx everyone, probably one more day or so on the covering boards. Trim the inboard sides, add a radius. Drill holes for 7 Lee Senior rod holders. Fuel fill, starboard side. Side panels rough fitted already, ready for installation. One in transom is 15 degree swivel, one each side two feet from corners 30 degree swivel. Another two, two feet above those 30 degree turn slightly outboard have bars not pins. Bars for wire line rods. Two feet above those vertical and swivel. Picked up new enclosure today, gorgeous. Going put the old ones back on til she’s running like a Rolex.🤞 EarleyBird

Last edited by EarleyBird on May 4th, '21, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Looks great!!!!!!!!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Really nice. Looks great. Once you have her completely finished please post up the final pic.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Earleybird,

What made you decide not to make rounded teak trim on and around each deck hatch?
Is this purely an aesthetics issue ? Does it affect the longevity of the fabrication?
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"