Hailing Bob Lico

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Re: Hailing Bob Lico

Post by bob lico »

# 2 the engine coolant system is moved around by coolant pump. the engine always has air in the system that allows for expansion and contraction of coolant. when engine installed angle is beyond 4 degrees you have steam instead of coolant surrounding either number one or number six cylinder depending on how you screwed up the installation. # 3 also occurs on a engine installed at the wrong angle.some of us have seen quite a few engines on the engine stand or disassembled on table prior to going into the parts washer.some are coated with a thick oil slime in the cylinder head area.this is mainly due to wrong installation angle.the factory set breather was set at a location favoring the engine blowby fumes to exit at that point of the engine open to the air,so if the installed angle is wrong the fumes gather under valve covers this is diesel there is no vacuum outlet to inject into intake manifold as in gas engine.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

By looking at the engine ramps on the tips page, the ramps closest to cabin bulkhead are higher than the ones closer to the transom. If what your saying is correct than the ramps would be taller on the transmission end and shorter on the main bulkhead end no?
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

So is cylinder 1 closest to flywheel Bob or 6? Maybe I'm looking at it backwards
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cylinder # 6 is closest to the flywheel. the front of engine has a Harmonic balancer about 8" in diameter.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

saburke17 wrote:By looking at the engine ramps on the tips page, the ramps closest to cabin bulkhead are higher than the ones closer to the transom. If what your saying is correct than the ramps would be taller on the transmission end and shorter on the main bulkhead end no?
The ramp angles on the tips page will vary by Engine and Transmission. I believe those were based on Yanmars.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Engine is almost perfectly level with boat on plane.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
Is your generator a Mase the 3.5 Kw? What year did you install? have you had any problems with it ? About how many hours do you have on the generator? I assume you would purchase again when it is time to replace.
thanks for your comments
John
Carl

Post by Carl »

I get the front cannot be tilted down.
I get level is best

I can see the benefit of keeping angle of install minimal as being optimal.

But from what you are saying...or what I think your saying is there could be no way these motors could be approved for use with V-drives where the motors are installed at a heavy angle to counter the boats running attitude. From what I have seen in the installation manuals they recommend install angle to be between 4-12°. From what I understand your saying these motors will be blowing #1
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mase generator is a 4.0 installed in 2006. i revamped the electrical controls of the generator electronics after many problems with voltage regulation.installed a bridge rectifier and double the capacity of run -capacitor. operates perfectly now but the calculated load when first installed has changed. A/C, led lighting and most of all digital radar,dual displays, server, adds up to half of calculated load of 2006.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl to start a new post on V-drive is way off subject. PM me and i will answer v-drive question. trust me the closer you keep the installation to level on plane or slightly NOSE up the better it is for longevity.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Bob
thanks for your reply and info on the Mase generator
john
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have the # for the improved capacitor for the Mase generator if anybody needs it. i am completely overwhelm with projects right now but i will take a minute out to explain "why" for the above posts. take the Cummins,Catapillar,or Volvo and put on bench to disassemble and you see a remarkable similar construction of camshaft,front crankshaft gear and oil pump drive.the gears are lubricated by a drip system and will last a life time, however if you nose the engine down the crank gear will be surmerged in engine oil and will "whipped" the oil causing airated oil --------very bad on rod bearings! yanmar has" rubber belt" driving camshaft no lubrication------enough said.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473