NC rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joseph Fikentscher

Re: NC rendezvous

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I just can't sleep during the night when its daytime for me
Yannis, That's what the Ouzo is for!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, Yannis the sailboat part was for you...
I'll agree other then my friends that did the Azores, sailing the Atlantic was, as you said seemed to them nothing more then going to the local 7-eleven.
Me...I take boat on a hundred mile trip and I'm checking, plotting, packing spares...reading and running thru charts over in my head.

The Mr. T reference was fro the A-Team TV Series...Mr T did not like to fly and the team would have to knock him out or knock him out to get him on a plane or chopper.

The Skype thing does sound like a good idea for attending for those a little bit outside the traveling area. Funny how the world has shrunk...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I get about 5 mpg at 1100 rpm and make 7.5 knots. If I carry an extra 110 gallons of fuel, I could (slowly) make it 1500 miles with fuel to spare.

Give yourself at least 2 months.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:I get about 5 mpg at 1100 rpm and make 7.5 knots. If I carry an extra 110 gallons of fuel, I could (slowly) make it 1500 miles with fuel to spare.

Give yourself at least 2 months.

...Yannis, your gonna need another sandwich.

Also going North you'll be bucking the current and wind coming from Europe so it won't be 7.5 knots over ground. Going South is better, but hopefully you'll find a tanker willing to sell a few gallons to you along the way as there's no gas docks going that way.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike, Carl, Joe,

Given the circumstances, I decided not to come by boat!
It's not only the long time needed, its that I have to prepare a lot of sandwiches...
I'm now working with Boeing on a new project, they're looking for a test pilot for their new ballistic missile, only it will land in Montana, damn, what's the weather like in Montana and where do I get a connecting flight to NC?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Montana is beautiful in the summer. although the mountain passes sometimes don't open up till the middle of June.

June 18, a few years ago. This is as far as we went because the road was closed about 1/2 mile ahead. 6 insches of snow the night before.

We were our there for my son's (on the right, along with my other two kids) wedding in Glacier National Park. The pass road is somewhere up there in the snow.

The high plains were beautiful as well. but much warmer.

The airports are listed here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... in_Montana
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Carl

Post by Carl »

Great idea Yannis!

That will cut some travel time off and you won't waste so much time prepping sandwiches, a couple cookies should be fine...or a small bag of pretzels as that is SOP for flights.

Just watch the landing, I hear they can be a bit harsh.
I am not familiar with the airports in Montana, but I'm guess the blast of the missile will get you a bit closer to NC...at least some pieces of you will.

Maybe you can pack a parachute and hop off the missile around NC...just give a call on your way down and someone should be able to come out and meet you. That way you avoid the landing...and the blast.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Joe,

Beautiful indeed !!

Perhaps we could start a new thread with pictures of our trips. Boat trips, but also any other trips.
We can even start some sort of unofficial "best pic" award. The members can vote for, say, 2-3 pics and at the end we could count for the winner.
Not necessarily the best pic quality wise, rather the best pic in terms of the topic shown; a big fish, a nice moment in nature, something interesting in general.
Many of us have real treasures hidden in their data banks... We could also have sub-categories e.g. nature, my boat, family and friends, best moments...

Carl,

Bull's eye !! Is this another test pilot? I thought the project was a secret !!
Oh I see now, it's the Grand Canyon test site !! nothing to do with what they hired me for !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Thank you Carl, although I'm pretty sure I'll bump right on NC !

Tony,

Cruising 5k miles is impossible, so my asking for directions was just a joke.
On the other hand it will have to be a life or death issue for me to get into a plane for 10+ hours... it's not only that I fit very miserably in those seats, it's I also lack the patience; and then it's the jet lag...6 hours difference make me almost sick...I cannot enjoy anything for at least a week. In either direction flown.
I once said that if I ever went to the US again, it would be by ship so that the effect of the jet lag be spread over a few days. Who knows, maybe one day...
Yannis

I knew you were not serious. Just providing some levity.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

They don't call Montana Big Sky Country for nothing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/Media/New ... efinitely/

For us Northern boys thinking of taking the boat down, be aware the Dismal Swamp route is closed. No date for it to open again so you may need to stay outside for the June get together.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Tony. As you point out, the Dismal Swamp route, which is actually an alternate route (AICW = Alternate Intracoastal Waterway) is currently closed. The main route of the ICW, the Albemarle-Chesapeake Canal, remains open so an inside passage is still open to you guys. Y'all come on down!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy

Thanks for updating that post.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315