1968 Hatteras 34 project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

micky

Re: 1968 Hatteras 34 project

Post by micky »

Deck hatches have been sanded, faired and primed.

micky

Post by micky »

Gave the first 2 coats of paint to the deck hatches, will put the sand tomorrow. Also started removing all the tape and paper from the boat. The nonskid came out beautiful, I went ahead and installed the entry door.

micky

Post by micky »

Was able to sand and apply 2 more coats of paint to the deck hatches, then put the sand on top. Then started to assemble everything on the back deck. Plan is for tomorrow to finish with the back deck, saturday install everything on the bridge and then on sunday wire everything on the bridge and the back console. Its going to be an interesting weekend.

Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Mickey your getting close now!! It feels so good to take the paper and tape off and see the fruits of your labor. Looking sharp nice job!!
Jason
micky

Post by micky »

Continued today installing parts, installed both shorepower receptacles, a starboard door, shower, hawse pipes and switch panel. Tomorrow need to put the hoses on the deck drains, hoses for the fuel fills, connect the water lines on the shower and saltwater washdown, connect the fuel senders and put power on the back console. Then I'll move to the bridge and install everything and next weekend do the wiring under the helm.

micky

Post by micky »

Assembly continued today, connected the hot and cold water lines to the outside shower, installed and connected the saltwater washdown, installed both fuel fill hoses, wired the back console, wired the fuel senders, installed the door lock and installed the drain hoses for the deck drains.. Plan for tomorrow is to install everything on the bridge so that next weekend I can start with the wiringon the bridge and install the bilge pumps, after that is only the steering system and a few loose ends.

micky

Post by micky »

Forgot to add, the painter bailed, he sent me a text that starting this week he could only work on my boat 1 day per week to do the floors (he didn't know that I had done them) and I told him to come and get his mask and leave, that I had completed his job.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amazing the work ethic of some people...do a large portion of a job then bail.

The Boat looked great before you added the blink...but really pops making it look outstanding. Nice work, keep it up and you'll be enjoying it out on the water in a short time
Last edited by Carl on Jun 7th, '21, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Micky, Carl,

After many many many many years that I’ve been cheated by all kinds of “professionals”, I realized that they do the following:

They come to you, all happy and polite and say “of course I can take up this job, of course I can do it, of course I can start on Monday...”
Then, they do the same thing with other clients too. Simultaneously.
They want to SECURE as many jobs as possible by just going to each job and starting to do things the first day.
Then, they disappear!
They take turns working for the clients they secured the jobs with, never finishing one job, rather doing a bit for everyone and back again.
Finally they appear, with all kinds of excuses, I mean All kinds, and they make you feel you are SOOO lucky they came back to finish what you agreed together.

One solution is to NEVER pay them until the very end of the job, no matter how much they insist.
One other solution is to do everything by yourself, like Bob Lico says, BUT, do all of us have the skills to do that? Or the time?

I have more to say , fueled by anger and despair, but I’ll stop right here, I understand most of you know what I mean!

Hey, Micky, you're a rare specimen, keep up the good work, enjoy the fruits of your labor!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
micky

Post by micky »

You are 1000% correct. That is EXACTLY what the 4 painters have done. The one before this one worked on the boat for 2 month, did the frame-less windows, commute every day for him was 1 hr each way and he bailed with $0 in his pocket.
micky

Post by micky »

Spent the day installing everything on the bridge. Nothing is wired, that will be done next weekend. It looks GREAT!!!!

THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Micky
Your work is really impressive.
Even the satos in the picture are amazed at how fast you work.
slow down and have a Medallia-- think tranquilo..
micky

Post by micky »

All wrapped up for the welder to start working on it on Wednesday.

micky

Post by micky »

Wired almost everything today, still need to connect the trim tabs harness, lights for the instruments and the bridge speakers.After wiring everything, I hit the starter button and they turned over.

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I can not believe how fast you are moving along. Will be in the water before you know it. Looking good keep it up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
micky

Post by micky »

Today finished with the trim tab wiring, connected the speakers, installed the transducer, installed the starboard door up in the bridge and installed a 120v outlet in the cockpit.
micky

Post by micky »

micky

Post by micky »

Ladder to the bridge is done, hardtop is almost done, just 2 more pipes to weld. Bridge back bench will be done today with the rodholders. I'll take better pictures tonight.

Carl

Post by Carl »

I guess the pipe work from the ol' bertram didn't live up to the new level of refit.

I agree, looks great.
micky

Post by micky »

Yup, Hatteras don't like Bertram parts :-D :-D :-D :-D
Carl

Post by Carl »

micky wrote: Jun 17th, '21, 09:57 Yup, Hatteras don't like Bertram parts :-D :-D :-D :-D
Quite understandable.

Soon as you put one quality part on a Hatteras, it stands out like a sour thumb and the rest has to be changed. :-D :-D :-D :-D
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Hello Micky
I have a Bertram 28 that I’m thinking of putting single controls like you have. I just have a couple of questions.
Are those SeaStar Solutions CH5310P MT-3 Single Lever Controls. If so do they come as a right and a left / starboard and port. I know it says in the description from the manufacturer that they come at a preset I believe 30° position for neutral. I would like both control levers to the outside like you have it.
Thanks Kenny
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
micky

Post by micky »

Hi, yes they are the MT3 single controls. To use them as I installed them you need to turn upside down a part on the inside. Its clearly explained on the instructions and very easy to do.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Thanks
That’s what I was expecting being there was only one part number for that shifter
kross1

Post by kross1 »

By the way you’re Boat looks great been following it from the beginning. Very cool
micky

Post by micky »

Welder is done!!!

Carl

Post by Carl »

Sharp, very sharp!
micky

Post by micky »

Lot of hardware installed today. Ladder, front hatch, side grab rails, middle cleats, rod/cup holders, antenna mounts.Also sanded and applied 2 coats of west system so the captain's chair ladder back.

34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Howdy All

Its been a while and I see I missed a PM from Mickey sorry new position at work and it has sucked up all my free time.

Really nice progress hell I just got my hatches redone the way I wanted them this June also after 20 years. I see you got the air vents done without me :-D They look great and let a lot more air in. The one thing I see is the missing aft spray rail you really need them for protection and spray they where there for a good reason may want to consider that.
Keep at it the light is getting bright!

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
micky

Post by micky »

This weekend I finished a lot of loose end jobs on the boat so that next weekend I can start fabricating the hardtop. Installed the pre amp for the music, connected the gauges to the nav lights, installed the relay for the engine starters, installed the logos, the front hatch hardware, completed the salon walls and was able to install the laminate on the starboard wall, during the week I'll install the laminates on the port wall. Had to leave an access hatch on both sides to access the blower hoses, electrical outlets and AC hoses.I'll put some wood trim around the access door as that will be opened very rarely.

micky

Post by micky »

Finished the inside wall early in the week. Yesterday the canvas guy installed the back canvas, its white on top and gray underneath, it looks great!!

Today I started to fabricate the hardtop, layed the first 1708 on the honeycomb, once it was dry, covered the pipework with plastic and put the honeycomb on top of it, using straps I tightened the 4 corners of the honeycomb to the pipes because of the curves of the pipes there was a big gap, then put a jack under the top to give it the angle I wanted and layed the second 1708. Tomorrow I'll cut the excess fiberglass around the honeycomb, then I'll cut the excess honeycomb (I'm leaving 6" all around the top), I'll flip it around, make a groove and intall the pvc pipe with cabosil for the nav lighs, anchor light, courtesy light and spreader lights. And then I'll put 2 layers of 1708 on that side.

micky

Post by micky »

Started the day by flipping the hardtop around, made the template with the pvc pipes, marked everything and cut the trenches, wired the pvc pipe, put the pipe back in the trench and put cabosil on top of it. After it was hard, cut the 2 layers of 1708 and started rolling fiberglass. Tomorrow I'll cut the excess fiberglass from the sides and will start working on the edges.

micky

Post by micky »

Didn't do much today as I'm dead tired but was able to start the "box" that goes under the hardtop for the spreader lights and also made a mixture of resin, cabosil and mat and filled out all the edge around the hardtop. The next few weekends will be spent sanding and fairing.

micky

Post by micky »

Side windows were installed today, the back windows will be installed tomorrow.

Carl

Post by Carl »

It's coming along...soon you'll be cleaning fish blood and guts off her!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote: Jul 9th, '21, 06:38 It's coming along...soon you'll be cleaning fish blood and guts off her!
Three years, $7,000,000, and 85,000 man-hours later......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

micky wrote: Jun 2nd, '21, 20:47 Gave the first 2 coats of paint to the deck hatches, will put the sand tomorrow. Also started removing all the tape and paper from the boat. The nonskid came out beautiful, I went ahead and installed the entry door.

Micky, how did you get that non-kid texture?
micky

Post by micky »

Sprayed 2 coats of paint, while the paint is wet, applied the sand on it but I used about 3 times what I needed to get perfect coverage, left it until the next day, blew off all the excess sand and applied 2 more coats of paint, day after that one but before 24 hrs, applied 1 more coat of paint.
micky

Post by micky »

Couple of pictures of the back glass, still waiting for the door one as it hasn't arrived. Also worked today on the hardtop. Layed about 3 pieces of fiberglass in 3 spots that were low, sanded everything and applied the fairing compound (2.5 gal).

micky

Post by micky »

Spent all day fairing and sanding the top side of the hardtop and didn't finish. I've faired it 2 times and it needs 1 more, maybe 2. Also removed the plastic that was protecting the hull sides. The boat is coming out of the roof this week.

micky

Post by micky »

Interior guy started today with the salon ceiling and I went in the afternoon and installed the lights.

micky

Post by micky »

Worked some more on the hard top, filled out every detail that was visible and shot high build primer, still have a few details to fill towards the edge so will continue tomorrow and will try to finish this side .

micky

Post by micky »

Finished the upper side today and started working with the edge around it. The other side should be easier as its straighter that this side.

micky

Post by micky »

I've been working on the boat 2-3 hrs every day after work so that I can work on the hardtop during weekends. Between yesterday and today I was able to install and wire the 2 stern bilge pumps, cleaned all the bilges, installed the steering hoses, replaced the engine's air filters and installed the trim tab harness up to the transom. Plan for tomorrow is to wire 1 more bilge pump, install the stern navigation light, install the horn and install the steering ram and trim tab pump.

Carl

Post by Carl »

If you can make some headway every day it will get you to the finish line.

Looking good, I admire your dedication.
micky

Post by micky »

Was able to wire 1 more bilge pump, install the stern navigation light, install the horn and install the trim tab pump (hoses and pistons will be installed after bottom paint). Also the interior guy did the v-berth headliner and sides, he still has to do the headliner in between the galley and bathroom and the front cushions. Plan for tomorrow is install the steering ram, wet sand 3 touch up spots I repainted and cover the engine harnesses with that plastic cover that I don't know the name :)
Carl

Post by Carl »

wire loom
micky

Post by micky »

On Thursday the interior guy did the headliner in between the galley and bathroom.I was able to wet sand the 3 touched up spots I repainted, installed the wire loom and installed and wired the trim tab pump.

Now, I made 1 step back with the hardtop, if you look at the pics of when I started making it you can see it has a slight slope towards the sides, somewhere in the process, it lost that slope and last weekend when I put it on top of the frame the sides had come up 3" on each side, the only part of the frame touching the hardtop was in the middle in the front and back. I thought about cutting the hardtop so that I could bend it but this morning I centered the frame and put 1 bolt in the middle on the front pipe and on the back pipe, then started analyzing what had to be done so called up the welder via Facetime and explained to him what had happened and told him I was going to cut the front and back pipe so that the sides would touch the hardtop and that I needed to weld 2 new pipes and that's what I did. First I put 2 bolts on each side pipe so that it wouldn't move and then started cutting. Also wrapped the pipe where all the wires go to the bridge and glued down to the hardtop the box where the spreader lights will go.

micky

Post by micky »

Spent the day today straightening the hardtop edges. Placed a 1" x 2" aluminum square tube on top and one under along the edge and then put the bondo along the whole edge. Both sides, the front and one corner are done, also started fairing the spreader lights "house". 1-2 more weekends and it should be ready for primer.

micky

Post by micky »

Hardtop fairing continues. I'm about 80% done, ran out of fairing compound. Still need to do 3 out of the 4 corners and a 2' x 2' area. Hope to me primed in 545 next weekend.