Side window replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Re: Side window replacement

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico wrote:pete finally went to boat for photo as you can see glass on door due to angle allowing more sunlight to enter cabin in combination with triple the size cockpit windows exceed front windshield due to light be deflected by fiberglass above V-berth

Looks nice Bob. I’ve had good intentions to do the aft facing windows and paint the dinette booths but other projects like replacing the motor and now these windows have pushed them back. Slowly things get replaced around here. I’ve contemplated the door, I remember someone doing the door in plexiglass and I’ve seen other doors with a piano hinge down the center (bifold) so it doesn’t interfere with the head door. Thinking about melding those two ideas. Gives me more light and gets rid of that silly doors tangling thing. But honestly since we don’t have AC the door is open almost all the time when we are onboard, more concerned with the interference of the head then light.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Too bad in the curved...for me that is.

I'd have jumped into that project sooner then later if they were able to do them.
Curved windows were on my list before paint, which were on my list before diesel.

After repairing some aluminum frames for customers/friends I know its a job I do not want to tackle.
Its one of those one step forward, two step back ordeals were every pin hole to be welded turns into a crater soon as you apply heat.

Anyway, looks real good Pete, the boat is really shaping up!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I made the bathroom door open inside the wc, hung by two hinges. Very practical.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

door in the head is a pocket door that slides to the right
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

door in closed position.full mirrior on inside of door-------women!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks for stopping down tonight Bob. Would love to see you do the cabin door as a pocket door too, sliding into the head. Both are well beyond my DIY capabilities.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Did you watch him? How difficult was it for him?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

actually the hardest part of building the pocket door and frame out of "Flame grain mahogany) was getting asked to leave at the lumber yard after picking thru 500 pieces of 5/4" planks trying to find the one that were crosscut by chance. "Sir you have to leave your anal" !!!!! the center piece insert for all the cabinets ,doors,and the draws under salon are teak with mahogony styles (outside fram).the router bit with roller guide makes the detail and another router bit makes that fancy joint on all four couners of inside also grove for teak insert then just glue together .cabin door is differant contruction because you want 1 1/2" thickness to install standard stainless hinges 1 1/4" thickness brings all kinds of problems like the OEM. door from Bertram with this door hinges are ugly surface mount. A 1 1/2" door allows you to put fancy step recess on BOTH sides of door for either teak insert or in my case one way tempered glass. the cabin door can be removed easily to varnish you just pull four hinge pins like a conventional house door on inside.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473