Memorial Day

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Memorial Day

Post by CaptPatrick »

What ever your plans are this memorial weekend, please take time to remember the true reason that this holiday exists. Find a vet and thank him/her for their service. And remember that we are the Land of the Free because of the service of The Brave.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
IRGuy

Re: Memorial Day

Post by IRGuy »

The juxtaposition is chilling to me...

On the one day of the year when we "officially" thank our veterans, the wounded, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. so we can remain free ....

We see in the news that our government has screwed over many of our veterans who need medical treatment and have been denied assistance so some half assed beaureaucrats can appear to be doing their job. This whole fiasco makes me sick to my stomach!

I consider the VA administrators the scum of the earth!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

IRGuy wrote:The juxtaposition is chilling to me...

On the one day of the year when we "officially" thank our veterans, the wounded, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. so we can remain free ....

We see in the news that our government has screwed over many of our veterans who need medical treatment and have been denied assistance so some half assed beaureaucrats can appear to be doing their job. This whole fiasco makes me sick to my stomach!

I consider the VA administrators the scum of the earth!

And those are the folks who want to bring you the single payer system…….
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

my neighbor was in the va for a few days last week, he said hes never seen such great service.
guess some ones ass hole is puckering, the service should be like this all the time.
god bless our vets past and present, and thous that gave the ultimate sacrifice.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Charlie,

Will I get to meet you at next weeks get together?

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ill be there terry,
look forward to it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

This story I heard is not only an inspiration for anyone that breaths, its an example of the true spirit of independence and what being a true American is all about.

Makes me want to do mean things to the gov't handout whiners.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/24/wh ... skydiving/

Although an IED attack and severe infection left Army vet Joe Grabianowski in a wheelchair, he never gave up on skydiving.

"I've wanted to do it for a long time now. Well before even I was wounded. I've had dreams of it, thoughts of it,"Grabianowski told Fox News."It would be such a goal. If you just achieve it, you'd feel so great about it."

Grabianowski’s motivation was Todd Love, a Marine Corps vet who lost both legs at the hip, along with his left hand to the mid-forearm.

"Being able to be an inspiration to others, it's a privilege,"Love said. "It makes it all that much more exciting. You know, cause, if I can simply go out and do what I like to do and inspire others to do what they want me to do, then that - it makes me happy."

Operation Enduring Warrior is a volunteer group, set up a year ago this month, that introduces high level amputees - who can't be fitted with prosthetic limbs - to extreme sports, including skydiving.

"We really wanted to help wounded warriors and we took a multifaceted approach to it, so we do things like obstacle course racing, such as tough mudder, spartan races," said Scott Blough, a member of the all-volunteer team who is still on active duty with the Army ."Just anything to get wounded warriors out and get them active again and show them they can accomplish all of those things that they did before, and more than they did before they were wounded."

While there are no hard statistics on the number of severely wounded vets skydiving, it appears to be on the rise. “I think a lot of the disabled community,especially injured veterans, are drawn to skydiving because it's starting to grow,”Love said. “Veterans are perfect for skydiving because it's a sport you have to plan and military guys -- they know how to plan properly - and in skydiving if you can do that, you can eliminate a lot of the risk.”

Grabianowski trained at a wind tunnel in Arizona, learning to balance despite missing both legs. Then he moved on to tandem jumping, before going solo.

"For me it felt exhilarating,"Grabianowski said. Like anyone else, he was a little apprehensive when it came time to go out of the airplane door -- but it was worth it. While he can’t walk, during free fall, he said, he felt liberated from his injuries.

"Just that freedom of movement out there,” he said. “You're free falling but in a way, you can move your body in certain ways to actually make it feel like you're flying."

Love said the experience was mentally healing. "You know, it's silly that I put a limit on myself and thought that I couldn't do it or believed that I couldn't. And then to look back, I was like wow, I totally, like, put a barrier that I couldn't cross and then I ended up crossing it and I think, what else in my life am I doing that with?"

"Last October I got to jump with Todd,” Blough said. “And I’ve pushed Todd in wheelchairs, I’ve carried Todd in races in a backpack”

But skydiving, he said, was a surprising equalizer. “You put him in the air with me and we go flying together and jump together and he can move as well as, or actually can jump better, than I can.”

Drop zones and wind tunnels in Arizona, Texas and North Carolina are donating training and jump time. It's about paying it forward, how one vet can inspire another.

"Joe saw Todd skydive and realized, hey I can go do that," Blough said. "And now there will be somebody who sees Joe skydive in these videos or sees Joe here on Fox News and it will absolutely transition them into thinking: I can do that."

Grabianowski is out of Walter Reed, and looking for work helping other vets in the DC area. He recently turned down a custom home to accommodate his disabilities because he wanted to earn it on his own.

Both he and Love said skydiving is a confidence builder.

“It makes me wonder what else, what else is possible?” Love said.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bruce...

For the past few years I have been volunteering with a local group called "Step Up For Soldiers".. we do a variety of things to support both wounded and non wounded active and retired military men and women, as well as their families.

One of the things we sponsor as a fund raiser is a "Mud Run" in which we charge a fee to the public to be able to run through an obstacle course of things to climb, jump over, run through, move construction equipment tires, wade through, and crawl through water filled ditches, plus a lot of other obstacles. Three years ago, at our second run, I had the priveledge of meeting Sgt. Ivan Castro, who was wounded by an IED.. he also lost his eyesight in that attack.

He completed the hour and a half run, blind, without physical help, while being guided by his wife.

Recently I watched a documentary of wounded warriors from several countries who were skiing across part of Antarctica from a base camp to the South Pole.. I believe this challenge was organized by Prince Harry of the UK. Sgt Castro was one of the US team members.. all of whom succeeded in reaching the pole.

If you ever thought life has handed you a bunch of crap.. and you are feeling sorry for yourself.. consider that this man has taken on the challenge of not letting blindness stop him from living an almost "normal" life. I have never before felt insignificant in the presence of another human being, but standing in front of him I was almost unable to speak. I will never feel sorry for myself again!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Amen on the above. As has been pointed out: Freedom is not free.....there was/is a cost.