Inflatatable Life Vest

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Inflatatable Life Vest

Post by Tony Meola »

Looking to pick up a couple of inflatable life vests. I was looking at the West Marine brand and was wondering if anyone knows if they are good or bad. I wanted to get the best one as far as floatation goes. I was thinking the Deep Water model since i figured I did not need the one the offshore model with the harness. Plus the Deep Water was USCG type II.

I already have the Sterns type 1 on board. this would be mostly on bad days if I was out with just my wife. If I went over she would probably just wave good by to me and yell finally.

AS I get older I think more about how I can't swim like I used too.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Inflatatable Life Vest

Post by mike ohlstein »

Why not just go with the harness model? I keep a bunch of them on board. If things turn really crappy, you can tether yourself to the boat and be wearing a floatation device at the same time.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Last year I bought the mustang inflatable work vest and a personal epirb beacon due to the fact that I do a lot of overnight trips and find myself up alone fishing in the middle of the night or early morning. I figured if god forbid I fall overboard nobody would notice and the liferaft and beacon on the boat would not help. Therefore I wanted the best safety equipment possible. I never thought of tethering the vest to the boat, good idea.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

CHolgerson wrote:I never thought of tethering the vest to the boat, good idea.
A very common idea among blow boaters (a.k.a. raggers a.k.a. sail boaters)...

Personally I have a bunch of the off shore Mustangs (auto inflaters)... And, though there's a self deploying EPIRB on the boat I have one PLB in the raft and a second PLB connected to the PFD that I wear... Call me a dork but I do wear it every time I'm out of the cabin (i.e. in the cockpit, out on the front deck or on the FB...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

On the few occasions that I have found myself out in dangerous conditions, I have rigged a line from a stern cleat to the bow cleat. Then I have elasticized tethers which clip to that line and to the harness. I can walk from the bow to the stern and if wind up in the drink I'll have floatation (in case I whack my head) and stay within 6 feet of the boat.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Is that a Mustang or a West marine Model? I thought about the harness and yes I know the sail boaters use them all the time, But figured it might get in the way, but good idea.

That is why we ask.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

That one happens to be SOSpenders.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sospenders.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola