V-Berth

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

V-Berth

Post by Harry Babb »

In the last week or so I have finished gutting "DeNada's" V-Berth and started repairing/replacing bulkheads. As I have mentioned before DeNada is a 31 Express.

In the small bulkhead located beneath the bunks I found a 1/2" diameter x about 8" long bolt thru the bulkhead, down low. There was nothing attached to the bolt but it appeared to have been there for a long time.

Also just aft of this same bulkhead is a thru hull fitting in the bottom of the boat..........looks like about 1/2" pipe thread that has been capped off. DeNada has a fiberglass Head and sink on the Starboard side just inside of the cabin door so I cannot imagine that it was for a V-Berth Head.......

Anybody have any idea what these 2 details were used for???

Ling season should be starting pretty soon..........

Harry Babb
hb
thereheis

fitting

Post by thereheis »

it may be a old garboard drain,,,mine had in it also .

phil
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harry-

I don't know about the bolt, but I have the same garboard drain in my '69 FBC. I found what looked like bolts in mine--they were pieces of the threaded rod that's supposed to go up through the windshield, but had corroded apart over the years.

John F.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Phil/John
Any idea what may have been connected to the Garboard Drain??.....Any chance it was the Rope Locker drain. The thru hull fitting that we are calling the Garboard Drain is capped off.

Soon I am going to put DeNada on the hard and remove several old transducers and then glass up the holes. I think that I have 5 old transducers that are no longer being used. I am considering removing the Garboard Drain and glassing the hole solid unless I can think of something to use it for.
Any ideas????

Thanks
Harry Babb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harry,

The purpose of a garboard drain is to allow you to keep bilge water drained off while the boat is out of the water... The placement of the drain, by Bertram, is near the lowest point of the bilge when the boat is blocked with the deck level to the ground.

I prefer to block the boat bow proud so the transom is the lowest point & always add a second garboard drain dead center and at the lowest point of the transom.

Br,

Patrick
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harry-

What Capt. Patrick said. I added a garboard in the transom like Capt. Pat's, but haven't glassed in the front one though. I would if I were doing what you're doing, and probably will when I do a bottom job.

John F.
thereheis

drain

Post by thereheis »

i added one in the stern when i was hauled out,but prior to that when i was redoing mine OUTSIDE i wish i had one in the stern then .it was a pain in the ass always having the boat hooked up to shore power and having to clean out the pumps from debree,,no i just pull the t-plug -hose it all down and let it drain,,(hauled out)

phil
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I have a thru hull fitting with a "Tee" handle on it in the bildge somewhere about midship (in the main cabin area near the keel about in line with the dinette table). The area around the "Tee" handled plug seems to be the lowest point the way DeNada sits unloaded.

The fitting that I am refering to in my original post is located way forward....actually in the vee berth area and has pipe cap on it.......
Do you think that this thru hull was put in by Bertram or added later by one of the previous owners???

I will try to get a picture tonight after work and post it.

Harry Babb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Harry- If you had a Sportsfisherman it could be the intake for the between the V-berths head. Since the hulls for Sportsfisherman and the fly bridge cruiser are exactly the same, it could have happened during assembly. As I understand it, early assemblies had a lot of things like that happening. My 64 Sportsfisherman has three different sets of numbers on it. 31-382, 31-382, and 31-383. Illiterate assemblers in the early years was what was explained to me. Walter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Walter
That makes perfectly good sense to me. The framing in the Vee Berth area looks like it was setup for a head between the bunks like my old Charapell.

I have yet to find "DeNada's" hull numbers. They were not beneath the port vee berth. I have completely gutted this area and no numbers. You and I have talked about this before...........I purchased my boat as a 66 Express and my numbers (from the bill of sale) actually preceed your hull numbers. As I recall my hull number is 31-349. I'll keep looking.

Below are pictures of the fitting that I have been asking about.

bout bedtime
Harry Babb
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hull numbers have also been found beneath the cockpit centerline on the inside of the transom. So far as gas burn on the 454's, my experience was 25 gph at 25 mph....easy to remember.

Tommy