B28 We have galley.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

B28 We have galley.

Post by Yannis »

I understand that cabin modifications and improvements is NOT the priority for all of you who mainly use your B31 or other Bertram for fishing. Also, the fact that a small B 28 is not considered as a live aboard vessel, does not lend itself for such money and time investments.
My objective was to construct a practical galley that has all the essentials for a live aboard vacation, to reduce the galley footprint, and to not rely on gen set or shore cable for all galley electrical needs such as refrigerator/freezer (solar) and cooking (gas). Water capacity is now 350 liters (2X100 under the deck and 150 under the cabin sole). This coming summer will prove if this execution met the objectives. Cheers.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
1962 31

Re: B28 We have galley.

Post by 1962 31 »

very nice work!!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Doesn't matter the size of a boat for live aboard.
Had an ex Vietnam chopper pilot in the early 80's live permanently on a 28 for years. Heck of a nice guy.
When I was a kid there were 5 of us that took 2 week vacations on a Chris Craft 27' down the Chesapeake. Tight but doable.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you 1962 31 .

Bruce, no doubt 5 is a bit too many for a 27 or 28 or 31. But when we were in our teens, "tight" was what we were after, no?
I don't know what most people think, but my 28 (or 31) is more than OK for 2-3 persons for even a longer stay. In the summer you don't carry stuff, you're in your swim suit all day so you save space. And what's more important, you're usually so ...wasted that you may not notice that you are sleeping on the deck (if you're lucky) or on the dock (if you're less lucky) !!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Many a night I slept on those engine box's while we drifted the canyons of NJ. Not a problem. Put an awning over the stern and it can rain all it wants. Gives you room for 5 more people.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,
The thing with sleeping outside is the mosquitoes (if you're bothered by them - I am) and that you will wake up with the first daylight at 6 am. Perhaps this is OK when you fish but when you're on vacation it may be bothersome, the day is too long to wake up at 6.
For a prolonged live aboard stay with a crew of 5 you may also encounter toilet overlapping interests and water shortage, to name a few...
In Greece in July and August you might see rain in the north and in the Ionian sea (west). In the Aegean (east/southeast) you may not see a drop from June until mid September.
Anyhow, as a friend puts it, the boat is not a hotel; for a comfortable prolonged live aboard stay on a 28ish I think 2 or 3 people (depending on the combination and chemistry) is the limit.