BLUEFIN PLIGHT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

BLUEFIN PLIGHT

Post by Craig Mac »

Just read the March issue of Marlin -Michael Leech paints a very bleak future for this fishery.

I gave up canyon fishing years ago--concentrating on the bluefin working 20-60 miles out of Jones Inlet. Needless to say, every year gets tougher and tougher. I feel like the swordfisherman of the 50"s ---When it was a succeesful day to spot one.

Most of my acquaintances find me a "radical" as I release every fish I catch-every species. I welcome a CITES listing for the Bluefin if it happens. I wish there was more support for it.

Not wanting to plagiarize-but a line from another article seems very relevant-"reminds me of the duck hunter who said ' I don't know what happened to them all, we used to kill them by the thousands..'

I urge everybody to read the article.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Craig, it's a bleak future for man in general. All the resources are over strained. Food, fuel, land. here, and every third world country. All those early star trek episodes where the planets are dead or have regressed to sticks and stones are sure to come true. Enjoy what you have cause it won't be here for much longer, but don't worry none of us will either.
Yes doom and gloon run rampent today
capy

Post by capy »

Yup Timmy, John Morris, who used to fish out of newburyport, said he used to catch 4-5 giants a day!!!! back in th 60's. He said that on any given afternoon in the summer you could see huge(100-200 fish)schools of bluefin, 1-2 miles off the beach chasing enormous schools of bluefish and herring.

Just like the buffalo, they are gone forever.

Really sad. :cry:

Paul
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Wow Timmmy
Big time Dome and Gloom see what happens when you work late the night before!!!!!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

yea thats the kinder , genteler, more reflective thuddddddddd.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

To burn 3 55gal drums of fuel a trip( enough fuel to power a fresh water system in a poor village for months) and then worry about the fish is strange to me. I do not say this to be a dick but there are few animals on this planet that benefit from us being here. We are the great monsters who do only harm. To save the world would be easy, we need to leave. All of us,HUMANS. Sorry but the truth hurts.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

I think George Carlin said it best:

We're so self-important. So self-important. Everybody's going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these f_cking people kidding me? Save the planet, we don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to care for one another, we're gonna save the f_cking planet? I'm getting tired of that shit. Tired of that sh!t. I'm tired of f_cking Earth Day, I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. They don't care about the planet. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're worried that some day in the future, they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn't impress me.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are f_cked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

We're going away. Pack your sh!t, folks. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

You wanna know how the planet's doing? Ask those people at Pompeii, who are frozen into position from volcanic ash, how the planet's doing. You wanna know if the planet's all right, ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble, if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. Or how about those people in Kilowaia, Hawaii, who built their homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have lava in the living room.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we're gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, 'cause that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed, and if it's true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new pardigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn't share our prejudice towards plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn't know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, "Why are we here?" The planet wants plastic.
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
neil

Post by neil »

timmmy dont worry jr will save the world even though he is a meatfishermen neil
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say,
"Come!" I looked, and there before me was a pale horse!

Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind.

The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains.

They called to the mountains and the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!

For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?"

Until the ill in mans heart is cured, the body count will continue to rise.

Have a nice day!

Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Well, things are looking up for me. Yesterday the tarp came off the boat,some zincs went on and the boat has bottom paint left from last yr. The props are polished and the shafts look new. The helm ares has been refinished and new stailess hardwear installed.

All in all, I'm ready to get some of that $3.00US a gallon petrol and launch at the end of the month.

And the sun will come up again in the 'morn.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I just hope that anybody that enjoys tuna fishing in the near future would support a CITES listing if comes up for consideration--in the grand scheme of things-the entire east coast will be under water when the ice caps melt and nobody is going to be fishing. Twenty years ago when it was first proposed , I supported CITES and if it happened we might not be having this discussion.

I think it is the only way to reduce worldwide pressure on a limited resource.

If we can keep the longliners out of the sword fishery, one day I may have a shot at baiting one like the did in the Golden Age , while I am looking for Bluefin.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Yup Timmy, John Morris, who used to fish out of newburyport, said he used to catch 4-5 giants a day!!!! back in th 60's. He said that on any given afternoon in the summer you could see huge(100-200 fish)schools of bluefin, 1-2 miles off the beach chasing enormous schools of bluefish and herring.

Just like the buffalo, they are gone forever.

Really sad. :cry:

Paul
Paul

10 years ago you could walk boat to boat the fleet's were so thick on the hills offshore. now, we'll see fish for a week or 2 as they migrate through, but that's it. however, i'm not convinced that the stocks are totally collapsed. its hard to tell with pelagics. in the late 80's they claimed they were totally collapsed, but you've seen the pictures of the schools of fish that were further offshore. but I am convinced they've been completely and totally mismanaged. imho, part of the tuna problem is overfishing, but another part is that now they let the pair trawlers clean out the food fish (herring). ever since the pair trawlers started cleaning out gulf of maine, the tuna haven't been around. not the whole problem, but i think a big piece of it. matter of fact, PEI has been having some terrific giant fishing the past few years and are asking for more quota. i think they stopped or limited the herring fishery, and it's been coming back. if only we could get competent fisheries managers, the fish might have a chance.

hope to see you guys in the river this year. plan on bringing her back up in may.

later
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
ed c.

Bluefin

Post by ed c. »

Sean, i know George Carlin and he is an a--hole. He speaks with a forked tongue.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Craig,
The long liners are killin the swords down here for the bounty the markets pay.
Some realy nice fish have been comming in in the 300lb range.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hey guys, this is getting pretty heavy. We need to bring back the rocker stoppers.
Besides, think about this, the majority of ice that covers the polar caps are in water. Doesn't ice displace its own weight in water with about 90% of the ice below the water? So if that is the case and all the ice in the world melts, the rise in the oceans is going to be a lot less then everyone thinks. Try it with an ice cube in a glass of water. No change in the water height once the ice melts.

Plus if Al Gore admits to that, they will have to take back his Oscar. Tony Meola
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Tony, you are right about the displacement thing - the rising sea level issue is when ice that covers land masses melts, not so much sea ice.

The sea ice melting problem is purported to be about the UV reflective properties of ice and snow vs. the UV absorbtive properties of open ocean - the ice reflects alot of the UV rays that have been allowed through the thinning and missing ozone - their is a concern that if it hits open ocean more heat will be absorbed thus increasing the rate of warming. I'm not claiming to know about this - I'm just forwarding some of the arguments.

I'm not sure what to think, but I don't think it can hurt to plant trees, particularly in the southern hemisphere.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

All the politicians, organized religions and honorable individuals argue about the right to life vs abortion issues while the problem really has been created by the needs of world overpopulation. The need for shelter, food, clothing etc. bought on huge cities and industries to meet them. Trees cut, houses and cities built and on and on and on. If the ocean level rises, I hope I live to see it. I'll have ocean front property (finally) and I'll run my Bertram down to see Manhattan, the new Venice. Perhaps it's time to start Dykes around the city? Walter
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

There will be a lot of interesting changes in fisheries and shipping routes as that Arctic ice melts. Countries are already arguing about who owns what in the soon to be open Northwest Passage. And there's a guy who bought an ice-locked port for $7 just ten years ago, that is forecast to be work $100 million a year. Oh yeah, lots of oil up there too that will suddenly become accessible.

It's an interesting read:NY Times Article
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Here is an interesting site that has pro Meterologist guys discussing the global warming deal (as well as weather patterns...good site for fellow weather geeks like me):

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showforum=36

And one that indicates Mars is heating up also....much CO2 emmisions on the red planet?

[/url]http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... g.html[url]

Edited to add: to stay on topic in the thread...the BF season down here sucked this year...maybe 10 or so fish brought in a day with over 300+ boats fishing.

Maybe they went somewhere else, or never came down b/c it was so warm??[/url]
Last edited by Rickysa on Mar 8th, '07, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce,
What about the fifth seal?
Drank it at Port eades.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think Chris Wilson from South Africa brought it didn't he Mikey?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Statistically, there are twice the number of commercial fishing vessels worldwide, than what the oceans can handle. National Marine Fisheries predicts that by 2048 the world oceans will not even be able to sustain commercial fishing. Just another tidbit, you charter boat guys do not need to carry turtle rescue gear onboard. That regulation only applies to longliners.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Turtles

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Kevin, the information I received, including a nice, detailed booklet with pictures, said anyone holding a reef fish permit, commercial or recreational-for-hire. Of course, I also got a notice about how many marine mammals I was allowed to kill as bycatch???
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hey guys, this is getting pretty heavy. We need to bring back the rocker stoppers.
Besides, think about this, the majority of ice that covers the polar caps are in water. Doesn't ice displace its own weight in water with about 90% of the ice below the water? So if that is the case and all the ice in the world melts, the rise in the oceans is going to be a lot less then everyone thinks. Try it with an ice cube in a glass of water. No change in the water height once the ice melts.

Plus if Al Gore admits to that, they will have to take back his Oscar. Tony Meola
Guys, this is the same exact post I made in the ethanol threads about global warming. ...
when the general public realizes that the only thing that effects global warming is the sun, then maybe more people will open their mouths. Global warming is a cyclical event which has happened thousands upon thousands of times since the dawn of time. It happened before people were walking the earth and will happen long after people are gone.
Harv
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mike, sorry about that, I should have elaborated on that. the above post is for South Atlantic. Gulf fisheries has seperate rules. If you need any info I can get it for you. Kevin
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I agree with Harv. This is all stuff they taught us in 5th grade science class. Plus, 30 years ago they were yelling about how the world was cooling down. They really need to make up there minds and not wetting their finger and sticking it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. Tony Meola
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

And to add, how many times did you listen to the weather and go boating to find they had no idea what the hell they were talking about! They dont know three days from now, how would they know about 30 years, 300 years or whatever. Its crazy to think that they know.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Being in Florida... I'm convined that the weathermen show up on Monday morning wearing one suit, and carrying a bag with six more.

They do their standard routine for Monday: "today it will be mostly sunny, but partly cloudy in some areas, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms..."

Then they change into another suit, record another two-minute talk for Tuedsay about it being mostly sunny with maybe some rain...then change again and talk again for every day of the week...you get the idea.

The job would be a maximum of two hours filming every Monday morning, and then you get the rest of the week off. Where do I sign up? The reason they get so excited when a hurricane comes along is because they're bored stiff.

And oh yeah, I agree, they are also completely incapable of predicting anything. They couldn't predict a Thursday on a Wednesday
Harv

Post by Harv »

The only weather forcaster ever to get it right was the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman".
Tonight's forcast ..... dark!
Continued mostly dark,
changing to scattered light early in the morning.
Harv