Weight and Speed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Weight and Speed

Post by John F. »

Since I got Crows Nest, she's been on a diet. I've taken off/out the 1/2 tower and top, swim platform, genny, outriggers and mounts, waterlogged helm bench seat, really heavy Raytheon 41xx radar, 8d batteries (replaced with Sears Grp. 31 batteries with 1100 cca at about 75 lbs.), etc. She floats a lot higher. Instead of her chines being buried, they're now right about even with water level.

She's up and running, and now its time to take apart the helm and redo that. I wanted to take her for a quick ride before she came apart again. Last year, with the 1/2 tower pipe on but no waterlogged top, she'd hit 2900 rpms--she should hit 3000 per Detroit. I took her out Sunday for the first time since the diet and winter work, and she jumped on place a lot faster than before, and hit 3150 rpms and seemed like she still had a little left before I pulled back. Diets work.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Re: Weight and Speed

Post by Carl »

Diet is a four letter word!

....although I do agree tightening the waistband a few notches will add a little spring to the step.

Not only do you get were you are going faster...but takes less fuel to get there.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Its funny how over time I saw many boats gain quite a bit of weight and complaints from the owners that the engines didn't run proper rpm and that I needed to look at them.

I'd step on boat, take one look at the twinky and maple syrup pancake diet the boat was on and exclaim there's nothing wrong with your engines that a dumpster couldn't solve.

After an short argument I'd claim I have to pull the boat to fix the engines properly and while out tweak down the props.

After putting back in the water I'd always get from the owner, see they run fine now, there was something wrong with them.

America's obesity just isn't limited to our bodies.
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

WELL ,THIS Doesn't exactly apply to the above discussion buttttttttt,,,,,,,,,, What does DIET STAND FOR DID I EAT THAT!
Carl

Post by Carl »

bobfioresi wrote:WELL ,THIS Doesn't exactly apply to the above discussion buttttttttt,,,,,,,,,, What does DIET STAND FOR DID I EAT THAT!

LOL...I like that...consider that line officially stolen Bob.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:Its funny how over time I saw many boats gain quite a bit of weight and complaints from the owners that the engines didn't run proper rpm and that I needed to look at them.

I'd step on boat, take one look at the twinky and maple syrup pancake diet the boat was on and exclaim there's nothing wrong with your engines that a dumpster couldn't solve.

After an short argument I'd claim I have to pull the boat to fix the engines properly and while out tweak down the props.

After putting back in the water I'd always get from the owner, see they run fine now, there was something wrong with them.

America's obesity just isn't limited to our bodies.

Bruce, how true.

My buddy took a test ride on his soon to be boat week before he bought. Cruised 24 knots.
We went to pick up the boat from Maryland and he invited his two brother inlaws, (one is pushing 300lbs) father in law a bunch of gear and me...pulled out of dock and topped off fuel tank, water tank and then couldn't figure out why boat was only cruising 22 knots. Umm your test ride was owner you and survey on a 1/4 tank of fuel and no water.