Ethanol free gas still useable in Fiberglass tank?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stuart Cooperrider

Ethanol free gas still useable in Fiberglass tank?

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Two questions here.
The original tank from my 31 was removed before E10. It's been 3 or so years on the hard with maybe 30-50 gallons of pre ethanol fuel in it.
I'd love to salvage the gasoline for use in my lawn equipment. Filter it, spin it, I dont know. It's worth the effort for the sake of every gas powered lawn tool I own. It's been fully sealed in the tank so is it something I should pursue or is it past it's usefulness. And if it is worth syphoning, what would you suggest I do to "clean" it?
Question 2.
I have no use for the tank and am happy to sell it for whatever with all proceeds going to this site. I'm on Cape Cod near Hyannis.
If you can use it, let me know. I'll send or post pics if there's interest.
Go Bs.
Thanks
Stu
Tony Meola

Re: Ethanol free gas still useable in Fiberglass tank?

Post by Tony Meola »

With 3 year old gas it is going to be iffy. If you use it you are going to have to filter it and mix it with fresh gas. If the tank is the larger one, 230 gals then some one should grab it, or you could put it back in if you convert to diesel.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Stuart,
Dump the old gas, if it smells like varnish it's gone by. I used some non-ethanol old gas in one of my cars years ago when I was laying the boat up. It made my car run like crap. Usually the local marina has a barrel or two that you can pour it into, if they don't the local dump should have a disposal barrel. Maybe the local fire department will take it for their training practice burns. What size is the tank? the old 172 or the new 233 larger tank? Just flush it out with fresh water after you get rid of the old gas, then blow it dry with an compressor air hose. You will probably have some brown goo in the very bottom of the tank, use some acetone to break it up and then let it dry out. Look inside with a small mirror to see if there are any gel coat blisters if there is dump the tank, if not use it for another purpose or donate it to someone that might be able to use it. I'll be up there next month if it still good I'll take it off your hands, don't throw it away until I look at it, I'll use it for my back up tank for my household gen set. 561-310-7179 cell
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Stuart Cooperrider

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Pete, the tank is the smaller 172 size. Not sure if I'll have the chance to get the existing gas out by the time you're able to come by. Seeing as how there's so much of it, hauling it somewhere for disposal is problematic. I'll check around for a service that might have a use for it and could come by. In any event, I'll give you a call.
-Stu
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lawn equipment is not too particular...but even if it was able to be used for that...30-50 gallons of gas is a whole lotta lawn to be cutting.
Unless you have a lawn cutting service....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Stuart,
If you need it gone you could put an add on craigslist. I bet it would be gone within days as some folks just don't care what they burn.
Stuart Cooperrider

Kevin,
Your Craigslist suggestion made me laugh as almost everyone I know has at least one weird Craigslist story. Hopefully I wont have to subject myself to "the list". Yikes.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Use it 5 gallons per tankful in your car. They have knock sensors and can compensate for the lower octane. I used some ten year old gas on my burn pile this Spring and it burned like diesel fuel! I was throwing closed 5 gallon buckets of it on the fire and couldn't even get one little mushroom cloud! No bang left, just a slow burn.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31