Bertram factory official on board

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marlin

Bertram factory official on board

Post by Marlin »

Last week I was at a an occasion having an adult beverage and I was introduced to a guy by the name of Jim Ramsey, his friend that introduced us knew of my passion for 31s , Jim was quiet at first but after some chatting I found out he was part of the famous team that was put together by Richard Bertram, he's an offshore racer, delivery captain for Bertram ,regional sales manager for Bertram and just knows everything about the history of this famous boat company, he was nice enough to send me spec sheets on my year boat. I aask him to contact captain pat as I thought he would influence Jim into being involved in the forum, with a little coaxing, I under stand he's in, post a question, see if he responds. He did come to see my 2013 version of a 31 and made numerous comments,all good I think,welcome to the sandbox,hope to see u in charleston when we refuel, when we run her to the Great Lakes for her final resting spot, this spring
Bob H.

Re: Bertram factory official on board

Post by Bob H. »

Marlin, Way to represent the sandbox. Bertram brass should admire how we keep the legend alive one 31 at a time. Thanks to Capt Pat and a very diverse group of talented people it's fun to watch we can build as a team. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Wow......it is a small world indeed.....ya never know whom your gonna run into or where.....interesting post Marlin.

hb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Marlin, very cool! if you don't mind my asking, where you going on the Great Lakes? Getting into my hood a little? The boat likes the fresh water but the winters on the hard, not so much.
-Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

First post for Jim Ramsey.
First, welcome and thanks for subjecting yourself to our questioning (nagging) interest in the progenitor in this illustrious line. It is my understanding that the early records of Bertram are sketchy at best but some still exist. Would love to get the build records of my boat as I am sure many of the Faithful would. If it's possible mine is a hardtop express (only one I've ever seen with a factory hardtop): # 31-327, born March 18, 1963. She turned fifty years old last year and looks and performs beautifully, which is almost impossible to say for any other fifty-year old boat.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

MarkS wrote:Marlin, very cool! if you don't mind my asking, where you going on the Great Lakes? Getting into my hood a little? The boat likes the fresh water but the winters on the hard, not so much.
-Mark
. Going to probably keep her in Port Clinton Ohio in the winter, heated inside storage by Catawaba marine ,a full service marina that manages many of the the larger nicer boats in that area, they know what outriggers r
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I know exactly where it's at. Been there fished walleye and smallies out of Port Clinton. We used to stay in a private home close to the Besse Davis nuke plant. Theres a fair crop of Bertram's in that neck of the woods. Looked real hard a 25 FBC before I bought Razorsharp that was at Catawaba Marine.
Have a safe trip!

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JimRam

Post by JimRam »

Hi All,
Nice to be aboard. Marlin, thanks for the intro. I have been a Bertram fan and enthusiast since my first ride on a 31' in the mid-60's. It's good to see the interest of everyone on the 31' today. I had the pleasure on running the first 31 on the Great Lakes in Detroit from Couzen's Yacht Sales on Lake St Clair. Needless to say, we sure turned heads when we were running cruise speed on the Great Lakes chop and all of the other boats had to slow down. How sweet it was.... and yes, the passion remains.
Mikey, let me poke around and see what is available of your hull records etc. Have you contacted the factory regarding your boat?
Jim Ramsey
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mikey,
When Richard Kidd was still at Bertram he was able to get me the original Master Carpenters Certificate (builders certificate) this was back in March of 1982. It was pretty interesting reading that the boat was sold thru Dale Yacht Sales, Bay Head New Jersey in 1962 and the name of the master or principal carpenter was a fellow named F. Russell Specht, who worked at Bertram at that time. They have the hull number as 31-186 and it was made in Miami by Bertram Yacht/Division of Whittaker Corporation length of the vessel at 30.27 feet, Breadth at 10.87 feet and the depth at 4.81feet. Gross tonnage was 10.5 Net tonnage 8.4 , it also gave the engine manufacturer Chrysler Corporation, Marysville Michigan and the horsepower at 2-280 gasoline engines made in 1961.
I have seen one other hardtop express besides yours, it was at Chapman's School of Seamanship back in 2001, they were using it as a school demo boat for the survey classes, I never saw it again after June of 2001, I have seen a couple of sedan cruisers that were using the same top mold, there is one now at L&H in Stuart, it is really rough shape, the hull is faded and checked down thru the original white gel coat to bare green glass and the side decks are down to bare green fiberglass from years of sitting under a tree. Makes my boat look like a new boat in comparison. You might what to contact Seth Flippen at the factory he's the product support manager now and his dad worked at Bertram for years, he might be able to help finding some records of your boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Pete..

About 6 or 7 years ago I called the Bertram factory and got the Master Builder's Certificate for my boat.. I believe I spoke with Don Flippen.. not sure of his first name. Maybe he is Seth's father?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Maybe JP knows but I never came across a Dales Yacht sales in Bay Head. Ours came out of Nautical Yacht sales which was in Brielle a stone's throw from Bay Head. Old Al Losee. He was the first dealer in the US for Bertram and made sure everyone knew it. He was evidently an old friend of Richard Bertram.

I went to school with his Grand Daughter, a real character he was.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

IRGuy,
Don is Seth's father, he worked at Bertram for years, his son is now Don Jone's right hand man. I always thought that the boat came from Brick, N.J. that's what I was told by the 2nd owner back when I bought her in 1978. I tried to get her documented but I couldn't get the first owners to sign off on the papers. I paid a documentation service but never got it done, kind of sounds like the typical government way of doing things.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Dales was on the right by the entrance to the Canal. Been there as long as I can remember. I 5think the name has been changed as it has newer owners and a management company from Texas (I think) running it.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Spoke with Richard Kidd when he was at Bertram and he said those records were gone. He didn't mention "Master Carpenter's Certificate." Love to see that.
Was thinking about Richard the other day. Did he retire? Does he still come to B31 rendezvous? great guy.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
JimRam

Post by JimRam »

Hey Guys,
I haven't heard about Richard Kidd for years. Don't know if he's still kickin' or what. Great guy tho.
JimRam
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I thought someone here said a couple years back they showed him the door?

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

That would be a fact, Mark... He got caught double dipping so to speak. Selling aftermarket items to private clients while representing Bertram. Playing both ends against the middle.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe