12v Heater for cabin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joeh

12v Heater for cabin

Post by joeh »

Any advice is appreciated...

I keep my boat at my pier with electric and use it as an office occasionally. Does anyone have a recommended 12 volt heat solution that will work well? The heater/ac is still winterized. It can draw good power as shore power will be connected or the engines would be running.

P.S. Let me know if anyone around annapolis would like to fish in the spring

Thanks,

Joe
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Before I had a house out east, I used to stay on the boat whenever I came out. In the very early Spring and late Fall. a 110 heater was used when I was on board and at the dock. When out, a kerosene low profile flameless heater was sometimes used when it was very cold, but otherwise since I had a Sportsfisherman, I'd keep the stern canvas down on the port side and technically, the engine box was in the cabin and provided some (not a lot of) heat. If you have a generator, use the 110 heater. Just make sure it's the kind that shuts off if knocked over. I'd NEVER leave it on if I wasn't on the boat with someone in the cabin while I was on the bridge. Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Small electric space heater (with a fan prefered) does an incredible job in those closed quarters. No chance of exhaust fumes quiet and cheap.

I believe many of the AC/heat units do not work when the water temp goes down below 50 degrees, someone may want to chime in here to verify that though.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

AN OFFICE! Do you write that off? Wow! What a scam. I'm moving tomorrow. If you have 110 how about one of those new quartz heaters that does not (as advertised) burn you or your things if you make contact. Thinking about the confined space.
Not crazy about the kerosene item. Always worry about poison gases. Lost two friends like that some years back.
Stay safe.
An office!? Why didn't I think of that?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sorry Mikey but you have to work at something besides the boat itself to have an office!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
joeh

offive

Post by joeh »

Mikey,

I live on weems creek off of the severn in annapolis. I work out of a home office and have 2 boys under 2 yrs old make it impossible. So the boat is just far enough away and just close enough.

I do take any excuse to be on the boat though. I will be working the tax issue if possible.

Joe